Rub Rail Lights Installed

Westy

Well after 3 jigs and lot of hard work in 100+ heat my 88 year old father in law got the LED's into the rub rail. I installed them and they look and work great.

What do you think?

OFF:

ON:

Westy

Last edited:

GFinch

UV LEDs? very very cool! Mind showing a pic of the Jig/tool. Now all you need is a set in front and back of these in white on a separate switch.

Westy

UV LEDs? very very cool! Mind showing a pic of the Jig/tool. Now all you need is a set in front and back of these in white on a separate switch.
I have the red LED's in the cockpit for night time roaming around. The UV LED's work great at lighting up your line but do a poor job of reaching out to the shoreline. Oh and I do have these on all four corners.

I will probably install a Nucli-Eye Light Atom MoonBlue for lighting up the shore. The guy that makes these lives in Phx. As a matter of fact he's the guy that cut the tongue off of my Alli's trailer and welded up the insert so I can pin my tongue back on.

I'll post picks of the two jigs my FIL let me keep. The one he made for doing the spliting of the back side he hung on to for some reason.

Westy

GFinch

Westy, I don't fish nights unless forced, club has one a year.
I have one of those Nucli-Eye with the suction cups. I think it has 3 UV and 3 White LEDs. It works well.
I really like your idea and would copy it if I liked to fish at night more.

Westy

Some of you have asked for pics of the jigs so here you go. I'll post some night pics soon.

Drill Jig:

Sanding Jig:

Westy

GFinch

You know you are going to have to put a strip of Green and Red on the bow and White on the stern. At night we are supposed to always have the running lights on even at rest. So that would probably work and not be as glareeee. Question: how far do they protrude or are they flush with the rubber down in the inset? Protected?

I bet you could easily rent/sell those jigs if you made up a few. Might really take off if you got a strip of the rubber for boats like Daves customs, Eliminator etc.
Put me on the list.

Westy

Great idea about selling the jigs but the jig would only works on the rail insert that came with our Alli's.

As for them protruding because the insert is slightly concave the lights barely stick out past the rubber so the outer edges protect the LED's.

I tried to talk my father in law into taking orders and he said forget it.

As for hawking them like Billy Mays. I've been told by many that I was probably a circus barker in a previous life. I used to do tool demos all across the west about 10 years ago.

Westy

GFinch

Great idea about selling the jigs but the jig would only works on the rail insert that came with our Alli's.

I figured that, thats why I suggested to get samples of the rub rail on the other "LOOK AT ME BOATs"

As for them protruding because the insert is slightly concave the lights barely stick out past the rubber so the outer edges protect the LED's.

Thats what it looked like to me. I fish out of mt Champion and it has the type without the Aluminum. Rubber with rope. So it wouldn't work.

I tried to talk my father in law into taking orders and he said forget it.

Probably wouldn't sell but a dozen or so. If you do rent it out make sure you get a very healthy deposit and a maximum time limit.

As for hawking them like Billy Mays. I've been told by many that I was probably a circus barker in a previous life. I used to do tool demos all across the west about 10 years ago.

Westy
I'm sure a few here will want to use it.

Blue Gray in PA

That's definitely cool - how did you handle the wiring? Were the LED's set in a strip and you installed them that way or are they individual lights? I'm curious to understand how involved this project could get but I'd definitely be interested in adding them if possible. it looks like you removed the rubber insert to install and then put it back in - is that correct? Was this the tough part or does it come out and re-install pretty easily?

IRONBLOCK

Westy asked: "What do you think?" I think that you have an awesome father-in-law and big thanks are in order for a job very well done! This idea is so cool, thanks for sharing it with us Westy. I'd like to see the rest of the boat it looks super clean too. Did you use black lights at all four corners?

I have been considering 3M's reflective tape on my rub rail; for safety reasons because I fish two or three night tournaments each week. Lights would be much better! Thanks

Westy

Westy asked: "What do you think?" I think that you have an awesome father-in-law and big thanks are in order for a job very well done! This idea is so cool, thanks for sharing it with us Westy. I'd like to see the rest of the boat it looks super clean too. Did you use black lights at all four corners?

I have been considering 3M's reflective tape on my rub rail; for safety reasons because I fish two or three night tournaments each week. Lights would be much better! Thanks
Thanks, You are right about that, He is one of those guys that can do anything. Yes, the LED's are UV so they put out a purple light that will light up fluorescent line.

Westy