Seal leak?

jdm90

Just had propshaft seal replaced 2 weeks ago because it was leaking, and only 2nd time out I noticed today fluid leaking again from around propshaft seal area. I am taking it back this week but what should I expect. Any ideas? Also, they did a pressure check on the lower unit before replacing propshaft seal and found an O-ring that also needed replacing and pressure tested after the repairs also. Just wondering what to expect when I take it back in.

fishnfireman

Hopefully it was just an error in putting the new one back right. Or the new seal was bad.

Have them check the prop shaft real good.......It could be bent or have a bad spot where the seal sits.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I think there are actually 2 seals there, 1 to keep water out and 1 to keep oil in, make sure they are put in the correct direction, they are mirror imaged.

jdm90

OK- Help me out here guys. The shop is telling me the reason the seal poped again is the carrier is worn- needs a new one. Is that a reasonable explanation? I did notice some play in the propshaft, both in/out and side to side. If so will a stock carrier be sufficient and should I leave it with dealer or find someone else to change it out?
Thanks

Yellowallison

Also your GC housing/treads can be worn out or a worn/pitted drive shaft can cause seal problems...

Right now yu need soemone honest and knows what there lookin at or they can rake ya over the coals :? :?

Where yu at in Alabama - who yu taken too, what kind of case??

jdm90

YellowAllison - I'm in North Alabama between Huntsville and Athens. The boat is at The Boat House in Athens at the moment. It is a JC's coned stock gearcase (as far as I know). I asked how the shaft looked and was told it was fine-looked good. I just raised the motor up this spring - it was buried before - now at 3/4" below, could that be adding to the stress on the carrier if it was somewhat worn before? 28 chopper prop.

fishnfireman

So if it was not a sportsmaster to begin with........I doubt it had the heavy duty, offshore c- bearings :oops:

I don't think that 3/4 below should be that more stress........nothing compared to 1 above. :!: