Seatbelt In Our Allison's?

David Lanham

Hey Guys

Just though I'd start a controversial discussion in regards to using/installing a seatbelt in our Allison's.

As we all know, there's been many incidents recently (mainly Prosports) involving violent spin-outs resulting in the driver being ejected and severely injured, one of them fatally.

I'm starting to think that a simple seatbelt would have kept the driver in the seat and prevented the inevitable ejection? I'm not talking about a high tech 5-point restraint but a simple lap belt

Of course, the first thing that quickly comes to mind is what if the boat rolled over and the driver was trapped. Yea, I agree but I've never heard an incident where an Allison rolled over and ended with the bottom up. But anything can happen. I think a roll over would be a result of irresponsible driving as in wave jumping, driving too fast in rough water, or crashing into something..ect.

The seatbelt would be intended for responsible top end running!!

I'm currently using a welded skeg GC and it's making me think!!!

So, what do you think?

I wonder is there's anything on the market now that would work.

GotMyAlly

I've thought about that. Always came back to the same point you mentioned, if the boat rolls you are trapped. In that case, I would want some kind of quick release but that wouldn't help if you were unconscious.

Shouldn't be too hard to adapt one to the seat though. I"d think just run it under the seat mount bolts. It might not lay just right acrosss your lap with the allison buckets though.

I think the seatbelt would be a gamble, but I'd take it. You hear about a lot more allisons spinning than flipping.

Myron

first and foremost, I would not be running a welded skeg, I am on the fence when it comes to any type of belts without being in a canopy, maybe Darris or someone like Glenn Reynolds might have a better idea

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
A seat belt does sound crazy at first but, I haven't ever seen one blow over. Over on fastbass someone said that a Alley blew over last year at a DSRA event. I have thought about a seat belt as well. But, it just don't sound right.

Kruton

I have wondered about a belt of some sort also. I think the most important thing if your thrown out is to be able to remain conscious.
In allys u sit low in the hull. So your chances are good that you will bang and hit something on the way out of the boat.
A belt sounds like a good idea on paper. Id like to here some guys responses who have been pitched out if they would be for a belt. I have never been thrown out of a boat, just my seat once and it was painful.

Jeff"Yammer"

Hey Guys

Just though I'd start a controversial discussion in regards to using/installing a seatbelt in our Allison's.

As we all know, there's been many incidents recently (mainly Prosports) involving violent spin-outs resulting in the driver being ejected and severely injured, one of them fatally.

I'm starting to think that a simple seatbelt would have kept the driver in the seat and prevented the inevitable ejection? I'm not talking about a high tech 5-point restraint but a simple lap belt

Of course, the first thing that quickly comes to mind is what if the boat rolled over and the driver was trapped. Yea, I agree but I've never heard an incident where an Allison rolled over and ended with the bottom up. But anything can happen. I think a roll over would be a result of irresponsible driving as in wave jumping, driving too fast in rough water, or crashing into something..ect.

The seatbelt would be intended for responsible top end running!!

I'm currently using a welded skeg GC and it's making me think!!!

So, what do you think?

I wonder is there's anything on the market now that would work.
You are completely joking right ... ?? WoW or just nutz !!!! I've been wet before ... a few times and the last thing you ever want to have to worry about is getting out of your boat !!! Unless the boat is a full conopy boat .... you're crazy !!!
This whole post is just wrong !!! Welded skeg ..... ??? Not to be a dick but you should really re-consider what you're thinking here. I run over 120 in my SS2000 and there is no need to ever be strapped in .... if your A-Boat see's that kind of water or it doesn't fly as it should you should consider a different choice in sports or boats !!!!!!

john4utvols

I guess I'm nutz to david after two dislocated collar bones and hitting the water at 105. I also thought about a seatbelt with a quick release. Only thing is will the seat stay in with all that force. I weigh 220 and I believe it will break, but I guess thats better than me breaking.

I do agree with Jeff on the skeg, Get rid of it before it hurts you. I believe alot of new allison owners don't realize if the skeg has been welded it will break at a high speed. Maybe not the first time out or the 100th time but it will break its just a matter of time.

catfish123

I fortunately to this point have never been thrown from my boat but the seatbelt idea to me does not seem like a stupid idea. Never heard of an XB2003 actually flipping over so why is it a stupid idea????? Seems like David says, there have been a lot of guys recently thrown from boats. David, are you talking about a welded on torque tab on the skeg, or a weld at another place on the skeg, possibly where a crack had already developed?

Last edited:

froggy

I'm going to get killed due for this response but:

1. Set your boat up properly and it won't "bat turn" unless the skeg breaks or the steering fails unexpectedly

2. Do not run welded skegs over 1/2 of max speed

3. Hydraulic steering won't get 'ripped' from your hands during a 'bat turn' so the turn will be in slo-motion versus at the speed of light.

Too much setback and too much front end weight is the primary culprit in these events.

Set your boat up to settle in safely when you pull the kill switch at flank speed---this may cost you a couple mph on the top but will pay itself back in spades in rough water and windy conditions.

Just my $.02

froggy

Jeff"Yammer"

I'm sorry but there is NO reason to ever have a seat belt in a boat what so ever .... And yes i've run many types of hulls at the absolute very fastest they could ever run .... Hydrostream V-King @107 .... STV's at 127 and 131 ....... and my SS at 126 with more speed on the way with a bit of top end set-up .....
Set up and proper driving will keep you out of the panda can !!!!!
Well .... thats my 2cents

Yammer

JR

If I were concerned with bat-turning and getting thrown out of the bassboats [which happens semi-frequently], I would modify the seat instead of a seatbelt.
The SS and GS do not have the "ejection seat" like the bass boats do since you are sitting neck deep inside the hull. When I do intentional bat-turns, I get a huge blood blister from my shoulder to my ribs from the G force pressing me up against the side of the cockpit. If I was sitting in a bucket seat above the hull [like a bassboat] I would be ejected too. I would consider a heavier-deeper bucket seat [like an offshore boat's] that has strong enough sides to restrain you during a Bat-turn.

BTW, welding a skeg on and A-boat's gearcase would be just as safe as welding a crack in the main wing spar to an aerobatic airplane.....
Especially on a bassboat.
JR

catfish123

Well, Paul Nichols was recently thrown from a boat and it was not either a set-up or a driver error problem. It was caused by a skeg breaking at over 90 mph and he still wound up in the "panda can", and that's my 2 cents.

john4utvols

Skeg broke on me at 105 in a 2002, If I had a seatbelt on I would have stayed in the boat, Yes it might have broke my neck, but so could have the water I hit.
hydraulic steering came off at the fastbass rally at 101 in my ss dislocated collar bone, seatbelt could have helped. And yes I checked it before we went.
All I'm saying is things happen no matter how great your boat is set-up, and yes some of us have never done a bat-turn, and some have done it with out getting hurt. I have went around at 107 with out getting hurt, it was just luck that nothing happened. I just think a seatbelt would be a little extra security. If the boat rolls I'm probably not going to make it anyway, so why not take the chance of a seatbelt holding you in, if the seat will hold you.

Allison

I'm with 22R because I fly high and if something happens I want to get away from it but good idea in a capsule, thats the only way I would wear a seatbelt..But then again I'm lucky if I see 80!!!!!LOL!!!!

J

John Richied

OR you could rig it up with an ejection seat like a fighter jet

ally2dextreme

i often thought of a seat belt with velcro . that way if it wasnt that bad you would still be in the boat if it was enuff to barrel roll the boat it would come lose anyway but you wouldnt hit the water at max speed. i wouldnt want to be upside down straped in either but i would bet the odds are the seat belt would save more by far than the odds of barrel rolling and geting traped.