Setup XB2003

xb03fs

Gettting close How should I have the boat setup newbie, easy to drive Dropping boat off this weekend to get rigged hopefully

26P hydromotive X OT
CLE Gearcase, built in torque tab (is the built in one ok?) (planning on blunting the nose once I find out more how to)
13.5" of setback, allison manual plate, allison hydro plate, wedges to give the engine more tuck
Side Steer
Cranking battery and charger in pass side rear compartment
Two trolling batteries in front of gas tank, center
54 lb thrust troller mounted

Want it to be set up for two up front most of the time, I am 200 lbs and 3 or 4 people quite often.

Last edited:

hullbilly

You'll get varying opinions, but mine is that your current weight placement sounds about right for solo running. If you put a decent size person in the passenger seat, you may have a balance problem, but you'll just have to test it. If you do have a balance problem, I would suggest moving a battery to the driver side rear compartment.

Your setback sounds right on based on my experience.

I'm assuming you're running a 225 promax? With my 26 trophy I was easily on the stock limiter. I think my boat ran about 86 to 87 with that prop and stock limiter. You may want to try a 28, but with 3 or 4 people in the boat, it may not be to your liking.

Also, you didn't mention your motor height. This part of your setup will impact how the boat handles and carries weight. My boat runs good at even with the pad and I raced the boat at varying heights above the pad. In my experience, the higher I went, the less bow lift I obtained, but this can be overcome with adding lift to the prop.

I don't have any expericence running the CLE. Has it been coned? I've heard a lot of negative feedback on the CLE for v-bottoms. However, there are some people out there that have ran them with no issue. The short length of the stock CLE cone can cause blow out concerns. I have experience with a sportmaster and coned 200 case. Both drove extremely well on my boat.

Good Luck! Sounds like you've got a killer ride!

xb03fs

200 EFI XRI Stock limiter which I believe is a soft limiter starting at 6150
Metal caged bearings
ditched the oil injection
Ditched Timing advanced module, timing set at 23 instead of 25 degrees due to lack of premium fuel availability and load from slalom skiing that will be done a lot
TDR Reeds
Solid Mounts

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how your CLE is, but I had a 2 hole cle on my old xtb-21 with the massive skeg and torque tab, and when I put a bob's coned 200 case on it she ran 4mph faster and much better handling. Sounds like you'll have enough stuff in the boat to move weight around for ballast. Balance is the big thing. Good luck!

Brian

Myron

put both trolling batteries in prot side, cranking battery in front of fuel tank, DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE IT AT ANY TOP END SPEED WITH A STOCK CLE, get bobs or tooter to put a cone on it. When I fish my partner sits back left, not beside me

xb03fs

So its not even safe with at speeds in the low mid 80's I thought they were iffy when approaching 90? Are they worse than a stock unconed unit?

Myron

I have never ran a stock CLE on 2003, but I no of a 2002 that would only run about 81-82 before it would blow out. Just want people to be safe and not get hurt