Ski Pylon on 03

BornYoung

Wanted to put in a ski pylon on my 03. Question is the rear support mounting post does anybody have one mounted so they could open the rear compartment lids with the support poles in place. Seems to me that would be too close to center for the post to work right or might be too much stress it.

badbait

BoYo, you have a great question. This is something I wrestled with when I installed mine. I came to the conclusion that it was impossible to get the proper angle for support and still open the lids all the way. You can open them about 1/3 of the way to slide something or out. The thing I learned is that pulling the pin on the support to release it is no big deal and really the only way your going to be able the open the lids all the way. One of the things you might consider is to put a 2 by 2 by 1/2" aluminum block on top of the deck to help spreed the load which is considerable while pulling tubes and large skiers. I also put a large heavy duty washer on the underside.

BornYoung

Kind of new the answers but was trying to cheat and see if anybody sneak the mounts in closer to center and gotten away with it. The pole will only be pulling a skier and we are pretty light weights but you never know and I rather be safe and keep it out as far as possible. I

badbait

It's been 7 years since I installed mine and I don't recall any problems drilling the holes. I do remember that I fudged the holes out as wide as I could so that I wouldn't have the mounting pin sticking up in the walk area of the back deck. If your coming to the West Coast Rally you can take a look at mine. It's the Atwood brand (Swivel-eze) that your referring to.

DXDY freak

If your ski pole is a Attwood ([/SIZE][/FONT]Swivel-eze)

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
popular question. Both side lids open. Center (in back)) does not. No problems after 4 years. Swiveleze.

whipper

You couldnt just beef up the seat hole and get a singe pylon like the GS? Then you could just get the same od stem for the seat if its not 2inch already. The suport for mine isnt very beefy and works great. The deck is the top suport and the base is just a sleeve that runs up to the deck to slide to pole in. The base just has two bolts threw the center stringer. Its nice not haveing the side suports that get in the way.

JR

Just a suggestion; Keep the pole's pivotpoint as far rearward as possible. The further forward, the more lift on the bow due to the drag from the skiier/tuber/parasailer pulling the bow up and preventing you from getting on a plane.

I bought a Hydrostream Vector with a ski pylon that mounted into the floor just behind the front seats with two braces rearward.

The first slalom skiier I tried to pull stood the boat straight up in the air and would have flipped it backwards if the motor's torque had not of wrapped the rope around the bottom of the hull. I moved the rope's pull point with a custom cage type pylon to center above the engine's flywheel bolt [sort of like a rope racing bracket] and it reduced the leverage on the bow.
JR