Skid planer top end speeds comprised ?

whipper

Great question I would like to know also. I can tell you the foil is a great addition. Handel's nicer with than without on mine. Kinda night and day. Takes of faster and flatter and trim above 70 is more noticeable. One bump and you see the bow move up. We're as without it does also but not as noticeable. For me I like to know trim did something. And know right away. Not find out after I've spun around.:eek:

Last edited:

whipper

It would be interesting also on that hooking thread to know how many who have had a skid plainer vs the ones that haven't ever if they have one? The only reason I don't change much is because if the change makes me loose 1 mph or have 1% more risk it's not for me.

Jon

Supporting Member
Most of the skid planers I have seen are on boats where the pad does not extend to the back of the transom, but the GS does - although I saw a pic on BBC of one that looked similar to a GS with a skid planer. I do not see an advantage of running one except for planing purposes. Even then, they are usually mounted higher than the pad and at 85+, you're likely not going to have it touching the water much. I need a video to validate.

I'm just thinking out loud more than anything on this one, so don't take my word on this as fact please.

whipper

Yes Jon good points. I think your right about the plaining. im thinking there might be a use in rougher water perhaps as it would in directly add length to the hull? But not being a vee shape it may hinder also i dont know? Hole shot yes. Maybe good for skiing?

whipper

That depends on what motor,how much you weigh and normal loads. 9 helps hole shot with a strong motor but wont help your load carrying like when you have passengers. If your over 200 lbs solo i would go 10,11,12 with a 200-225-260-280. The less HP the more out for loads. You can get away with 9 setback more with a stronger motor than a 225 provided your not over 200 lbs. Im at 12 now im 230lbs with a 225. I tryed 10 was at 12 for awhile and even 14 for awhile. I loved 10 but it wasnt as good when i had passengers. 14 was best top speed and for passengers but hole shot not as good. Still decent though. So the happy medium is 12. rips right out of the hole good feel at all seeds and ok with passengers with only a 225. if i had a 260/280 I would probably go 10 again. If i was sub 200lbs maybe 9 like Ziemers 260. His is the only one I know of thats at 9. Todds 260 is 12,JR with a SS225 at 12 and most guys are 10-12.
There is trick to fast level hole shots. Motor way up!! The lower your motor the suckyer the hole shot. I run even with pad with most props. Any good prop 25-28 should rip you out of the hole at 12 solo. If you dont have the fast drag trim your going to need to find that spot were your trimmed from a rolling start so you can trim up at take off to catch the bow before it comes over and still know were your at before you get on the pad. If you over trim at hole shot when you get to 65-75 mph and your over trimmed it will be hard to avoid a blow out! For me since i dont use a trim gage its all down then 8-10 bumps up to start. i mash the peddle then trim up maybe a a sec or two as the hull settles down and im off. The mid part of the hull never touches the water! If you feel bow steer after you've rolled over your not trimmed enough and your hull has gotten to wet for a fast hole shot. Pretend there is $1000 bill that cant get wet attached to your bow on the forward keel line and as you take off keep the bow out of the water. If i do it right just before 60mph i will ever so slightly feel the need for only one or two more quick bumps up to feel the hull leap up on the pad then its just bumps for more speed normally from there.

whipper

This isnt the best quality but at 26sec when i get moving look how level the hull was to get on plain. Just a little burp on the peddle and she jups right up and the bow is were I need it to stay up. that level with the pad 10 bumps up from all in 28 Drag3 prop. Then i maintain that untill i mash it at 49sec. It took two bumps from when i massed the peddle to get on the pad at 65-70 then only a few more to 93. I lifted my right hand to show how balanced she was at 93. haha At 2.20 on the way back you see me scoot over to the left for ballance also. haha

Last edited:

whipper

haha i hear ya. 51 hear. 12inch would be good, 9 for such a light motor and our weight is a little in i think. Also going up an 1/8 th to 1/4 below wouldn't so bad.

LakeAnna

I installed the planner on mine a few years ago and it works great. No loss anywhere that I can tell and the big end numbers are the same. I especially like the way the boat will cruz down low with it... at say 2200 or so.

You will like it. ;)

Michael Willerding

Probationary User
I have had mine installed for years now. For sure better whole shot, does not even get close to messing with top end.... most impressive is you can cruise at slower speeds without falling off plane to cruise with your buds that have stupid inboards lol Be prepared for a lengthy install to get it just right, not that its complicated..... just set up..... to hold it in the sweet spot. I'm new here fellas, but have had my Grand Sport Elite for years. Cheers eh

GotMyAlly

Lots of discussion on this on some of the XB21 threads. If I was going to install one, I'd want it mounted as high as possible and as short as possible to accomplish the holeshot goals. Remember, the water rises coming off the pad, so if the planer is just a little above the pad, the water may still hit the trailing edge.

GotMyAlly

If you've got a gopro, stick it back there on the transom and see for yourself whether the plate is dragging in the water or not.

whipper

Interesting view love it!! I couldn't tell weather or not the water would hit it though? Is there one installed on there? Defiantly higher would be better.What would be the ticket is one mounted with hydraulics or electricity actuated. You could have it down for take off, then as you trim have it wired in with the trim to come up with the up bumps?

GotMyAlly

Yeah, that's the full length (original length) skid planer on a 21 in the video. Probably would have had a better view of the plate itself from the side, but you can tell the water is very disturbed as it passes the trailing edge. I did another video with a shorter plate and you can see the water is much cleaner as it exits.

sledman8002002

Yeah, that's the full length (original length) skid planer on a 21 in the video. Probably would have had a better view of the plate itself from the side, but you can tell the water is very disturbed as it passes the trailing edge. I did another video with a shorter plate and you can see the water is much cleaner as it exits.
Do you recall the length difference between the two? I have (what Bill from Allison told me) is the short one, 16", what they call for when installing on a GS.

GotMyAlly

On my first XB21, it came with the long skid planer. 20" long. I cut 5" off to make it flush with the transom.

My new XB21 has the shorter one from the factory. It's probably about 16".....just a little longer than the one I modified, but with a radiused trailing edge so that it is shorter in the middle and longer on the outer edges.