Skid plate is on finally?

LakeAnna

Well, I finally got the new mounts on along with exhaust plate and spacer (500)more bucks! :cuss
While I had everything apart I took the boat down to my Dad's shop and repaired some bottom damage and a ton of block sanding.:big grin
Fixed a goofy skeg with the help of a couple brass hammers and shot it with some k36 primer we had left, sanded and sealed.
One of the last things was installing the Skid plate... boy was that fun after I looked at it every evening for a week...:blah blah blah. I put a 100hrs on it going down the lake sitting in the garage. Here are some pics...

Just wondering about this plate? Seams like 16 inches is back quite a bit... I know some have trimmed them before. I have it mounted 2.5 off of the transom and 3-1/8 above the pad per destructions... O- I ment to say "instructions".:big grin
Anyone here care to share your experience with the skid plate? It's 16 inches long just as it was shipped from Allison.
Been working on this thing over the winter and spring can't seem to make it fast enough!

Last edited:

LakeAnna

Couldn't add image code to my post for some reason...

Last edited:

xb03

Looks good! I would say if you can trim the motor all the way down and if it doesn't hit your good.

LakeAnna

Thanks guys, here it is tucked in all the way with 11 1/2 setback... now for some 24v on the up button or anything that might speed it up... this trim is SLOW.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
You did a great job. That's exactly where it's supposed to be. The 2.5" or so between the plate edge and pad vertical surface is absolutely crucial. What model boat is that?

LakeAnna

You did a great job. That's exactly where it's supposed to be. The 2.5" or so between the plate edge and pad vertical surface is absolutely crucial. What model boat is that?
Thanks, actually I'm at 2 inches from the edge to the vertical. That is the distance the instructions from Mr. Allison said to mount it with a little *beside it saying "Important". I hope like heck its correct...

Last edited:

njj502

Not doing anything... waiting for this freaking snow to melt! I actually need to make a couple of new vert mounting plates since I changed jackplates.... I've got so many irons in the fire right now I can't keep em straight.... to top it off I sold my beloved Tow Pig 3 or 4 weeks ago... new (to be but 14 yr old) Tow Pig is almost ready... still needs the lift, tie rods, shocks, tires & alignment then I'll be ready... oh and a bad A$$ tune for the five three... =)

GotMyAlly

If you've got a GoPro, stick it on the transom and go make a run. If the plate is dragging in the water at WOT.....get the band saw out.

LakeAnna

Yeah, that would be a lot safer than finding a fool to hang out and take a look! :shock: (done that LONG ago...)
I saw a video on youtube where someone did that... cut and noncut on a Ally. Is that you I guess? I have a variet of saws/tools... and already thought about what if it needs an attitude adjustment.

No Gopro though.:very sad

GotMyAlly

Yeah, that was my video on YouTube. Actually it was done after the fact. The video of the full length plate was done on Denver's boat and the cut plate video on mine.

That plate is stainless. It'll eat a band saw blade. Brand new blade will be trashed by the time it goes the width of that plate.