skidplaner and stuffing

Lotus 50

Does the skid planer make it more likely to stuff?

I've only stuffed once, off a plane into a cruiser wake in a narrow channel. Cruiser wakes in tight channels is a regular event for me. Sometimes I get caught in big open water.

K.Kiser

Well its designed to keep the bow down, so at a low speed I guess it could prevent stepping the bow over a large crest..

GotMyAlly

I think so. I've never completely stuffed one, but have sliced the top off enough to get wet a couple times before I cut my skid-planar off on my first 21. But to me, shortening the skid planar was more about the high speed effect that it had on the bow, not the low speed effect.

Lotus 50

I bought a skid planer and then sold it without trying it. A couple of months later I sliced the top off a wave and got soaked. Maybe that would happen more with the skid planer.

hcspeed

I think so. I've never completely stuffed one, but have sliced the top off enough to get wet a couple times before I cut my skid-planar off on my first 21. But to me, shortening the skid planar was more about the high speed effect that it had on the bow, not the low speed effect.
ok, this is where i hoped this post would lead , i've heard mixed reviews on behavior on top end , like over 105 with the skid planer on the xb 2002 .
any one have data on such, ??????

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Educate me. How would it affect anything from say 50 on up? (I am not being sarcastic, just curious)

I have heard if you come off a big wake when you come down tail first the skid planner hits 1st and some guys have bent them.

GotMyAlly

I have some videos on youtube of the water spray with the long skid planar and a cut one. The water spray off the pad definitely hits the tail end of the full length skid planar. In my mind, that water coming off the pad and spraying upwards at the plate probably causes additional tail lift (of which the 21 already has plenty).

hcspeed

Ssv, all I have are rumours, and theory, so i ain't trying to educate, just gathering data from members who may have it

Bobalouie

I have some videos on youtube of the water spray with the long skid planar and a cut one. The water spray off the pad definitely hits the tail end of the full length skid planar. In my mind, that water coming off the pad and spraying upwards at the plate probably causes additional tail lift (of which the 21 already has plenty).

Yep, I talked at length with Darris about this. Spray off the pad hits the planer and forces the nose down causing an increase in trim. Same thing happens with the prop spray hitting a foil that is too big.

hcspeed

Yep, I talked at length with Darris about this. Spray off the pad hits the planer and forces the nose down causing an increase in trim. Same thing happens with the prop spray hitting a foil that is too big.
So am I to gather that it takes a bit more positive trim to get the same set with the planer. But what about really big numbers