SMP trailer info

JOEALLY

Anyone have an old SMP trailer? I plan to replace the bearings & seals soon.

I don't think they build boat trailers anymore.

Anyone know what size spindles, bearings, seals are?

I can always carry the old ones to parts house, just thought I'd ask.

njj502

Your seals & bearings should have numbers on em and if not go take em up to napa. They'll match it

bassracr

Anyone have an old SMP trailer? I plan to replace the bearings & seals soon.

I don't think they build boat trailers anymore.

Anyone know what size spindles, bearings, seals are?

I can always carry the old ones to parts house, just thought I'd ask.
I called smp a few years back . At that time they would sandblast , rebuild, repaint their old trailers for what I thought was very reasonable . If they were closer I would have definitely had them save me the time and hassle of doing it myself . They may be able to tell you what you need . I took mine to the local parts house and got mine so it must be pretty standard . Here is the link to smp
http://www.pipetrailer.com/

Butch Leslie

I took my inner bearings and races to a bearing dealer and he measured and matched them free of charge. I replaced them on both axles and bought a spare set and carry the spare set with me along with tools to change them on the road if necessary. I also have a spare seal. Seems like there is no bearings and seals to match these SMP trailers at the local boat or marine dealers. Butch Leslie

MWest77

My trailer is an SMP. SilverBullet repaced the axle with a new one before Nick bought it, then i got it from Nick. As easy as it is to take a hub off, that would guarantee your success. I stripped mine down and repainted it. It was up north for quite a while as you can see in my restoration thread. It cleaned up pretty good. I would definitly pull the leaf spring bolts one at a time and check for wear or just replace them with new ones.

nickens21

SMP is still in bidness. I don't think they make boat trailers anymore. But I did order some stainless steel fenders for my trailer.

Last edited:

fnshrmaster

I took my inner bearings and races to a bearing dealer and he measured and matched them free of charge. I replaced them on both axles and bought a spare set and carry the spare set with me along with tools to change them on the road if necessary. I also have a spare seal. Seems like there is no bearings and seals to match these SMP trailers at the local boat or marine dealers. Butch Leslie
That's the best way to do bearings, and most likely the cheapest. Done it that way for years. We have Detriot ball bearing down the road,(Motion ind.) can't beat the prices anyplace. Kurt

MWest77

Good deal Joe! I need to take one of mine off one day soon and get a spare for the road. I tear mine down every year for cleaning and inspection. Haven't lost one yet knock on wood.

JOEALLY

I found the cheapo bearings in a kit online at e trailer for $12 for the entire kit including brarimgs, races, seals, pins, etc but I wanted a better grade of bearing. We didn't have timken bearings near me so I got middle of the road national brand.