Spoiled Rotten

max200

Been looking at other boats to start another project for my simon 3.0 liter but nothing compares to my allison wether it's build quality, ride, or handling. So I gonna try to save up some more cash for a GS. How do these run with a 3.0 on them? any replies are appreciated. Thanks Max!!!

whipper

I'm sure some will replie soon there is a thread on this also. They handle great. Ive looked into this also alot. I think because they are 950lbs they handle weight better than some. Theres even one with a 300Promax on it that ran 105 with 5 in the GS.
I think the key is less setback to offset the extra weight. If you can adapt a ratcheting gear case thats always a good idea also. The 3.0lt don't have this so you have to let off slower until your off the lip and pad or the bow may drop to fast lifting the stern when your already elevated. Ya know what dat does.
Other than this I think it would be a great motor for a GS. You can also add some floatation in the setback every little bit helps. I even do it with my 365lb motor. With less setback and floatation you wont feel like your always running with a full tank of gas. I thought a good thing to do would be to move the GS gas tank forward 5 inches further? The set back for a 250 or 300 XS would be in the 4-6 range. So by moveing the gas tank away from the transome a bit you can theoreticly have the same balance or Fulcrum point as a 2.5 with the standard 11-12 inches of setback. One day I want to try to set up a 300 on mine. The reason is then when the 23ft GS hits the market I just need the hull.
Go for it. If you can hang a 300XS on a Venom I cant see why not on a Grand Sport.

Last edited:

max200

Thanks Whipper! a lot of good info there And it all makes good sense I was unaware of the gearcase not ractheting since I don't have a case yet. thats got to get interesting if the motor ever locks up. The motor I have puts out 335 hp according to simon so it should be a beast. I read on a thread here or S&F that a GS gets weird over 105 Not sure if that is B.S. or not.

Last edited:

whipper

Thanks Whipper! a lot of good info there And it all makes good sense I was unaware of the gearcase not ractheting since I don't have a case yet. thats got to get interesting if the motor ever locks up. The motor I have puts out 335 hp according to simon so it should be a beast. I read on a thread here or S&F that a GS gets weird over 105 Not sure if that is B.S. or not.
ive never been there personaly but Ive heard thart from those who have been there like Todd, Skydog,Ziemer,Baker,ect.. Hears a pic of the 300 GS I always like looking at this boat!! The two guys in the GS are both over 240lbs and with the 300PM on there the GS doesnt look any lower in the water than mine with a 225PM. Whan ya think about it other than the fact the weight is hanging off the transon its like haveing 12 more gallons of gas on board? So half a tank feels like your running a full tank.
The ratcheting thing Im sure is just somthing you need to be aware off and get used to. Taking some lip off will help greatly in that aplication. It enables you to let off faster and not have the bow come down as hard as well as run the higher speeds over 103ish Ive heard. The reasoning is on boats like the GS the lip forces the bow down at that threashold speed. Thats the reason Allisons require less trim is the lip keeps the hull level compared to more motal boats.
Im sure Greg Sawatzky with the 300 GS used wedges and had only 4 inches of setback. He said it drove like a dream over 100 to 110. At 112 it was a little weird feeling so kept things down. He said the boat loved the wieght with the big wheeled 32 drag4,s on there. He had a 2.5 on belore and liked the 505lb motor better. BadBait has a well set up XB 2003 with a 3.0XS. he might fill ya in on some of the does and donts also.

max200

That boat looks awesome with the 300 hanging on the back! can't wait to get a hold of a GS. I love my xb but the gs is my favorite allison good to see it can run with 3.0 power. gonna have to find a fixer upper don't have a lot of spare cash these days. my girl loves to fish so I have to keep the xb. "how often do you here that" Thanks for all the great info Whipper! and taking the time. Max!