Sportmaster lower unit repair

Carl pastore

2003 250XS w/ sportmaster , had drive shaft repaired with a sleeve due to corosion .
Still getting water in L/U. New shaft is no longer availible ( 2 piece drive shaft ) called Glen Reynolds racing and marine and he is sending me a new 1 piece shaft to replace it with ( my local dealer apparently is not aware of this option ! ) my problem now is i cant get the other part of the drive shaft to release from the crank !
Any one have any suggestions ????

gmorgan

Bill, how do you get diesel fuel in that location without cutting a hole in the mid and liner?

Bill Mason

Guess you could try but soaking it in diesel fuel for a couple days is what my repair guy did?? Good luck.

have fun be safe

Carl pastore

2003 250XS w/ sportmaster , had drive shaft repaired with a sleeve due to corosion .
Still getting water in L/U. New shaft is no longer availible ( 2 piece drive shaft ) called Glen Reynolds racing and marine and he is sending me a new 1 piece shaft to replace it with ( my local dealer apparently is not aware of this option ! ) my problem now is i cant get the other part of the drive shaft to release from the crank !
Any one have any suggestions ????
2 years ago when i first had water getting into the LU when i took it apart the upper shaft fell out, when i installed the LU i greased all the splines and i had trouble getting it to seat all the way in, it finally did . So i dont think its a corrosion issue .

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pulling the power head is probably easiest in the long run and a lot less chance of screwing up anything else. Just guessing tho.

Carl pastore

Pulling the power head is probably easiest in the long run and a lot less chance of screwing up anything else. Just guessing tho.
Ive never pulled a power head so that will be a last resort . I have done lots of mechanical work , but not on a big outboard motor.

John_Richied

Pulling the power-head.... Easy money if you have a cherry picker, truss and come-a-long or branch and rope behind the trailer house....

Oh yeah, the lifting ring that screws into the flywheel too... YOU CAN DO IT!

I have the part number for the Merc ring if ya need it.