Sporty Leaking

Westy

I discovered a quarter sized drop of lower unit oil in the garage floor under my sporty. I pulled the prop hoping it was coming from the drain plug; no such luck. It looks like it's coming from around the large outer ring that looks like a retaining ring of some kind. I assume there is a seal behind it.

Is this something that a half way decent mechanic (me) can repair or would I be better off sending off to someone to rebuild? There is no one in the Phoenix area I would trust to do anything on my boat.:sad

I'm sure there are some special tools required and I would also need to buy a service manual (which I should do anyway). Anything else I would need? Is it necessary to have measuring instruments like dial indicators and micrometers?

Also would I still be able to run the motor as long as the lower unit is full of oil? I'm on vacation next week and had planned to do some fishing.

TIA

SLOmofo

Assuming: If it is the thing behind the large ring, it's the bearing carrier to case "O" ring that's leaking. Find a competent Merc person with the correct tooling to fix it. That ring should be bloody #@&$%^# tight so the carrier doesn't have a chance to think of moving.
Could be the prop shaft seal too.

Westy

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info and advise.

Would it hurt anything to run it as long as it's full?

h2oskiier30

If oil can get out, water can get in. I wouldn't run it.
Yep...when the case heats up on a run, it'll pressure the oil out. When it cools down sitting in the water, it'll likely go on a slight vacuum, sucking water back in with it.

I'd get it fixed before I run it again. Carrier or propshaft seals are very simple fixes for any outboard mechanic who has the correct tools to do it.

Westy

Very valid point, guess I didn't think about that. Now I have to find someone I trust. I have trust issues.:big grin

Westy

One last question, What gear oil are you guys using in your sporty's? I can't find the recomended oil from my manual anywhere.

njj502

I think that's the old bottle but it's straight 90w and is blue in color. Not sure how far have-a-zoo is from you but there should be some good wrenches over there...

Westy

Thank NJJ:

Have-a-Zoo :laughing is pretty far from me. I ended up taking it to Cabelas they are authorized Merc and the service manager is a pretty good wrench. Time will tell. I debated on buying the carrier puller and doing it myself. doesn't look that tough to do if all your doing is replacing the seals.

njj502

Pretty simple job but can be very intimidating the first go around.... For what it'll cost for tooling you could probably just have it done...

robert

Kenny Shaw in Henderson, Nevada does very good work on mercs. You can find him at Aqua Marine. telephone: 702-564-2266

Westy

Thanks Guys,

Robert, I'll keep that number handy in case I run across another problem I can't handle on my own.

Westy

Got my sporty back all resealed but was told the driveshaft and propshaft both have a lot of pitting. The tech told me that he remembered reading something about these sporty's having this pitting issue. I noticed a cut line on the propshaft were the thrust washer would sit. It's very tiny and not deep at all but I'm concerned about it. Should I be concerned? Mines a 1999 sitting under a JSRE 280.

I hear a lot about having a "fat shaft" installed. Is this something I should consider and what would the approximate cost be to do that?

msharp

The pits on the driveshaft is where its leaking and it will do the same thing if you dont get it fixed. I do have a fatshaft for that gearcase if you want it. PM me and we' discuss it and your driveshaft pits .

FlatOutAlly

I think that's the old bottle...
Nope, that's the Quicksilver branded version. 92-858064Q01. The Mercury labeled product is 92-858064K01 shown below. The contents are identical. You can buy the Quicksilver stuff all over (ie Walmart, etc). The Merc stuff is only available at dealers, I believe.

Attachments