Spun a flo torque hub

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Went fishing friday had the girlfreind with me and we were rolling along at about 73-75.We had just rolled by the sheriffs office boat towing another boat when all the sudden the boat falls off the pad and the motor went RRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!. The first thing I thought was "Dang! We just lost the propeller and propshaft." I figured the small shaft broke. We were about 1/4 mile from the ramp so I thew the troller out and got on the pedal and troller to the ramp. Put her on the trailer pulled her put. I put the motor in gear then walked back and turned the prop and I could hear it click one way and stop and turn the drveshaft the other way. I thought chit! I broke the driveshaft or rung out the splines on the crank. But, when it happened i didnt hear any popping or anything break. Got home expecting the worst I dropped the lower unit. Got it off, driveshaft was fine looked up the midsection at the crank splines. They were fine to. I decided to pull the prop cause that was all that was left. I has really happy to find broken plastic pieces falling out as I pulled the prop off.
Moral of the storie........Check the simplest things first!

whipper

Lucky sorta. Nice thats all it was. How old was the flowtourque? That would be a good referance to know how long you can run them maybe? Interested because I have some two and three year old ones. They must break down over time? Thanks James

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Dawg, you ever get that stator changed? & your rpms up???
Havent had time to mess with it. I changed the fuel pump and picked up 400 rpm.

I'd add a second "moral of the story", that being carry a spare hub if you run a plastic one.
My nut came loose just a tad. Enough that you could grab the prop and wiggle it and it would move a little bit. I re-tightened it. I am guessing it got cracked or damaged while it was a little loose before I re-tightened it. I had another wheel and all the hardware it the boat but, like I said before I checked it in gear (not running of course) and it would turn the shaft so, i thought I had prollems else where. Go figure just my luck.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Never thought of bringing a spare hub Neal, My stupid butt brings a whole propeller............could prolly say a few pounds like that............

Jay Martin

When the Flo Torque first came out that was a sales pitch for the hub, "Carry a spare hub, not a prop"....

Inspect them often if your running the surface and I know most everyone on here is, if you see a crack on the plastic drive sleve, chunk it!!

There is a stainless weld in hub..

Last edited:

Rickster

Had a Hill 4 Blade ET Phone Home prop that fit real loose and stripped out the plastic hub...My TM lower is a fat shaft so I have the all metal now.. I sure hate when I have to shift and not start in gear...BAMMM

Rick

froggy

You can get a metal hub for either the 1" shaft or the 1.25" shaft. The plastic hubs are not very durable and exhaust heat deteriorates them quickly.

froggy

h2oskiier30

KDawg...do you have a fat shaft or standard shaft lower?

The number posted above is for a fat shaft.