SS2000 Prop Selection

SS2000XS

New on the forum, as I have been driving a Hydrolift T20 before,
but now I have bought an Allison SS2000 Excel.
I will rig it with a 200XS gen 2. 15" mid and sportmaster gearcase. I have to SM, with ration 1.87 and 1.75.

What about prop? What Prop would be the fastest on this boat/motor? Should also be drivable

What about gear ratio?
Should I primarily try to find a setup with the 1.75 or the 1.87?
I guess the 1.75 with lower pitch would be more drivable, but which should be the faster?

// HR

Whaaaaat

Think I remember a thread of a guy in your same part of the globe with the same setup your talking about. It was a good detailed thread of his setup and prop experiments. Do a forum search, think he was chasing triple digit speed and was getting close

SS2000XS

Think I remember a thread of a guy in your same part of the globe with the same setup your talking about.
Right, same boat, but different engine. I know aenas personally, and have almost daily discussions with him.
He got to high 90's, I want to proceed into the 100's.

I have bought a gen 2 with 2 SM's. Gen 1 had standard 1.87 ratio, the gen 2 1.75.
The two SM's will need different prop pitch meaning it will be expensive to do a proper comparison. Would require the same prop in two pitches, making the engine rev the same at the same speed.

So - I want to make a shortcut and try to understand with gear ratio is best without having to do full comparison.

However, I will reuse much of his experience. Ie I will try to get a Mazco RE3, which was the one he got the best results with.
Anyone knowing the email address to Mazco? I have a company phone and do not want to do private phone calls to the US.

Whaaaaat

1.75 will be faster with the same prop as 1.87, just take longer to get up to speed. 1.75 will let you keep the pitch down on the prop which should help with the handling characteristics of the boat.

What ecm in the xs? Know what your rev limiter is?
1.75 is what you should use if your just chasing top end. I hear the gen 2 makes quite good torque so you may not be losing that much out of the hole.

1.87 will accelerate faster but depending on your rpm limit you may need a 32 or larger prop to even come close to triple digit speed. But with a good setup and a 28 will have great acceleration and handling characteristics.

Your overthinking it if you want to put different pitch behind each gear to adjust for prop shaft speed. You end up negating the benefits of each gear.

If it were mine id prop it with a 28 to 30 range prop and there 1.87. For all around performance. Then you can swap the lower to 1.75 with same prop to chase speed.

I haven't found a prop over 28 that feels "right" on my ss. But I'm still trying props. Anything I can.

SS2000XS

What ecm in the xs? Know what your rev limiter is?
I have the SST ECU with a 8krpm rev limit.
Do you know if there is also mapping differences from the ROS ECU?

Sounds like a plan, to start the 100mph attempts with the 1.75.
Long term I will likely sell one of the SM's when decided which is my preference.

However, at this point there is a "Mohell" add on cone for even higher lift. I would guess that is only interesting for catamarans, so either I knock it off, or try do do a swap with a unmodified 1.75 SM.

A friend here is making 111 MPH with a SS2000 / 280.
I dont think there should be that very big difference to a 200XS. What do you think? Ok, his is not an Excel, so a few pounds lighter as well.

BR / HansR

Whaaaaat

If you are friends with Aenes? Did I spell correctly? Or someone with similar setup. I would try to borrow his fastest prop. If the engine isn't strong enough to pull a 28 all the way to the limiter with the 1.87 gears then it won't pull with the 1.75. The 1.75 will need more torque to turn. If there's plenty of power in the engine to pull to the limiter with 1.87. Then change cases with same prop and test again.

I think the 280 boat is a different animal he's more power and more rpm most likely .

Lotus 50

I would worry about trying a Mazco first. All props are different. There are lots of fast props, ETs, Hoss Tritons. Try what you can borrow locally first. I agree with using the 1.75 gearcase for chasing speed. Smaller props will be easier driving.

My rig is the same, SS2000 with 200 XS Gen 2. When I had a 150 XR4 my best speed (89.7) was with a 31 Triton. 90 is enough for me now, although I have seen 93. There is a 25 drag 3 on the boat now.

GotMyAlly

I dont think the 200xs is even in the same ballpark as a 280.

And if your bud is running 111, that's one of the faster SS's around. Has he done any massaging on the pad lip to help it take a set at those speeds?

SS2000XS

I think the 280 boat is a different animal he's more power and more rpm most likely .
Anyone haveing any dyno data for the two motors?

A 200XS should be providing 225 hp, which ofcourse is less than 280. Normally power increase does not dramatically increase top speed, but maybe an SS2000 is different. Reducing hydrodynamic drag is usually the efficient way of increasing speed - but that is what Allison is all about!

I really would like the 200xs power graph, to more exactly choose pitch. I have a 8krpm limiter, but probably best result would be around 7.

What top speeds do you get out of your SS2000's? With what engine, prop and gear ratio?
Especially interested in those having other engines than the 280 and 260.

Whaaaaat

If you want triple digit speed your going to need every bit of the rpm available. I don't think you'll want to drive the high pitch wheel you'll need to break 100mph at 7k rpm.

Whaaaaat

Bone stock Hill 30 drag 4. Sportmaster, not sure on my height above pad. Stock 200 fishing motor with limiter removed. Low 90s 6400 ish rpm. I need to get a recall tach as it's hard to watch all the gauges at speed. I am not a fan of how that prop handles in stock form. I would like more slip out of the hole and more trim control at cruising speed. Engine height may help, but I think the blades are just too big.

Still testing heights and props. I have a very worked 4 blade something that was my absolute favorite when I had a conned CLE. I just had a hub welded into it. I ran it once. I think I need to go up with the engine, I feel like the wide sportmaster gives too much lift and Is holding the nose down until the boat starts airing out around 70.

SS2000XS

If you want triple digit speed your going to need every bit of the rpm available. I don't think you'll want to drive the high pitch wheel you'll need to break 100mph at 7k rpm.
For reference, this very boot has made 98mph before, with the same 30" Mazco David Shook used for his record. It was then pushed by a 200XS gen 1, 1.87 gear and about 6800rpm
So the increase to 100 is not very substantial. If I can get a prop as good is a question. Probably not.
However, I wanna go as far as possible.
I have a gen 2 with 8krpm limiter, so I can rev much higher.

Now I would like to have the power graph so I know how fast the power goes down after peak. Ie, if i prop it for 7500rpm, how much has the power dropped.

No question, it will be much easier to get to top speed if you are above peak power, passing peak in the acceleration.

SS2000XS

Bone stock Hill 30 drag 4. Sportmaster, not sure on my height above pad. Stock 200 fishing motor with limiter removed. Low 90s 6400 ish rpm.
Any idea how much stock 200 would crank on the dyno as compared to the XS?

Whaaaaat

No clue how they would compare. Mine is EFI with the ff block. FF is supposed to be very similar to pro max porting, should make good power further up the rpm range. Don't think it would spin to 8k. I don't want to try in stock form I would want new bearings inside and to message the ports and exhaust opening before revving that high.

Lotus 50

A coned XR6 gear case would get you over 100 until it blew up. The small gear case is worth a couple of mph. I bet your sport masters could be worked for more speed.

I chased speed when I had a lightly modified 150 XR4 on my boat. Best of 89.7 with a Hoss Triton. Went 91ish with a 225 Promax and have been 93 with the 200XS. 90 is fast enough. Today at lunch in chop 82 was fast enough.