SS2000 Prop Selection

SS2000XS

A coned XR6 gear case would get you over 100 until it blew up. The small gear case is worth a couple of mph.
What is a XR6 gear case? Coned - I suppose you mean a add on cone on a normal gear case?
I chased speed when I had a lightly modified 150 XR4 on my boat. Best of 89.7 with a Hoss Triton. Went 91ish with a 225 Promax and have been 93 with the 200XS. 90 is fast enough. Today at lunch in chop 82 was fast enough.
Ok, probably I have underestimated the difference between a 280 and a 200xs.
I did not expect it to be a 12mph difference.
This SS has been doing 98mph before with a 200xs gen 1, and maybe I should not think I could beat that with my gen2.

Whaaaaat

You probably can beat that, but only if you take advantage of your added rpm range.

You will need to spend a lot of time testing setup and props. Try every prop you even think might work. I know your in search of a very specific prop, but in my opinion your chances of finding the perfect prop on the first try are slim and none.

Lotus 50

In the US and Canada Mercury sold high performance 150’s that probably made 165 HP. The XR4 was the older 2.4L and the XR6 was the 2.5L. Both came with a smaller size gear case - 4.25” vs the normal 4.5”. With a nosecone these were fast gear cases. I blew up 3 or 4 of them. They were not strong enough for surfacing. With a lot of machining sportmaster parts would fit inside.

Per the Reynolds Racing Marine SS2000 page, the stock sporty is limited to about 100 on an SS and the small case “will move the limits up considerably”. There are people who have gone mid teens with sport masters, but I don’t know if the gear cases were stock

Years ago a writer named John Tiger wrote about top speed testing in his SS2000 with a bunch of props. He was in the mid teens with a 260. Remind me after Sept 13 to find that article. It’s at my house and I am away. Interestingly, Mr Tiger’s SS2000 wound up near me and the new owner never got much past 100. Gearcase? props? I don’t know.

The fastest Allison/200XS that I know of was an XB2003 tested by Bass and Walleye Boat magazine. 98 with a Hydromotive T4X. Of course I bought a 30 T4X after reading the article, but it was too much for the 150 I had then. I have a 28 T4X now that I have taken to 90

Lotus 50

I am home from the lake and have access to a scanner and my stack of old magazines. Hotboat used to be a fun read, and John Tiger wrote some great stuff in it. One article was called Hooking Up at 100 mph, about trying different props on his SS2000/260. I wonder now if 'hooking' was a hint about the risks involved. I did meet him once and asked about the article. He allowed that the cleaver test was a bit wild.

32 Chopper cut by Performance Propellers, 119.5, estimated 2/3 the cost of an ET
31 Chopper cut by Mazco, 117
28 Hoss Triton, 115, best handling, best accelerating. I have one of these
26 Mazco RE4, 109, 'on a heavier boat, this prop would probably be at the top of the pile' - I have one of these for carrying a load
30 Mazco RE4, 118.5
? Mazco offshore cleaver, 117.5, "sometimes hair-raising"

The boat from this test wound up in Canada and the subsequent owner never got much past 105(?) with it. I often wonder if a lot of the speed is in the gearcase and prop tuning.

Attachments

Lotus 50

Bass and Walleye Boat used to be a great source for performance boat stuff. John Tiger went there after Hotboat. I bought a 30 T4X after reading this article. They got 96.4 mph with a Gen 1 200XS and a 30 T4X.

Of course I bought a 30 T4X after reading the article, but it was too much pitch for the motor I had at the time, and I was too inexperienced a driver. I have a 28 T4X now and it's been to 90 without trying to raise the engine much. 90 is enough for me now. When I had a lightly modified 150 XR4 I chased speed and maxed out at 89.7

Now I have a 200XS and did not go past mid 80's all summer. I have a 24 Drag 4 and a 25 Drag 3 that accelerate hard. Most days my speed runs are in the calm behind islands. I need to accelerate and then back off before I am back in the chop

But I am very interested in following your quest for 100 mph

Attachments

whipper

A 25 trophy for rougher days at the lake and want to accelerate like a drag boat top speed mid 80,s in a hurry. 28 Drag3 from performance props in Sody Daisy. Same as T3X hydromotive prop that they dont make any more. BUT the TX3 and 4 props are like the Drag 3 and 4 out of Sody daisy that have been proven to be top tier props second to non at an affordable price new stock. 3rd prop a 30 Drag3 for top end runs and you will be covered for any situation for many years and not be disappointed at all. You will see low to mid 90,s with the 28 and touch 100 with the 30 maybe. Over 100 like 102 best to use a 32 with your rpm. Honestly trying for 100 with a 200xs is a bit much. Sure there are VERY experienced drivers who have done it but not for the fait of heart. A 225 promax and up mostly 260 and 280,s 300 drags ect its much safer to do 100 the more power you have. To reach 100 with anything under a 260 you have to string her out so close to the edge its not really worth it. With a 200xs if I could do 95 or 96 on a reg basis with great conditions i would be very happy with that. If I had a 260+ 100 plus would be like riding a bike after a while a really fast bike!! haha Thats what I think about it.

whipper

They can be made to work but a 28 drag 3 by performance props right of the box is heaven!! Pulls like a 25 out of the hole midrange like a 28 and top end like a 30. Might be off a pitch or two on that summery but like that. lol i know lots of guys will say the same about them who have tried alot of props. I guess its a true do it all for me. i have a 30 hill cleaver that's sweet but tricky to get just right compared to the Drag3. The drag 3 is a copy of the TX3 from Todd , Hoss triton and Yami Drag combined with a hint of off shore. Gorgeous design. 17796

Lotus 50

The drag 3 looks similar to the ET copy I just bought. I can compare the blades side by side next time I am at the lake. I have a 25 drag 3 that is great with no weight in the boat and a 24 drag 4. 1.75 gears here so less pitch for me

mxzx

Lots of great prop info guys! How does the drag 4 compare to the 3? Wondering how a 26" drag 4 would run on my GSE/200xs with 1.75 sporty. I have a 26" Hydromotive QIV and I don't like at all how it handles. My 24" QIV X (more of a round blade) handles 100% better!

Last edited:

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
Thanks for posting the comments about the drag 3 Whipper. I too am running one on my GS and I have had a lot of boats/props, and this one is awesome. I was fortunate to have a friend who recommended it to me and it has been everything he said it was. I have thought about getting a lightning ET but I think it would be the same result and for double the price of the drag 3. Very happy with it, and the customer service from Performance Propeller.