Steering luber help.

22R

Took my Ally out Saturday and the steering is starting to bind do I took the cables out from the Motor end and will be making me a luber to flush them. So do I have to take it loose at the Steering wheel end too ? Where will the stuff exit ( assuming no line leaks). Any extra tips appreciated. Most of the old threads on this are gone except for a few post....and yes hydraulic steering is next but since mine have been good for so long I wanted to see if this will buy me some more time.

Thanks,
22R

brund

I put a garbage can lid under steering column. Make tube long enough so you can turn the wheel back and forth a couple times that will help fluid work through cable. Should be able to turn with one finger when you are done.

Dave Hensley

Bassracer had the best set up I have seen for this in Set Up. It is on the first page. Lube from the rack end.

BBB

Kyle

I think i still have the cable luber i made. I have to take a look around. Will let you know if i find it. I can drop it off one day if you need it.

Ryan

22R

Thanks for the comments guys and I appreciate the offer Ryan. I actually had all the parts except a piece of hose to make one so I got that and did it Monday. The right hand cable if looking forward had a small cut that leaked right near the motor and another small one under the gunwale in the rod box. But, the fluid made it to the helm so I did it about 4-5 times then hit the other side which had no leaks and made it to the front faster both sides I used 40 psi to push it. My cables have been slowly getting worse through the years but I think that probably not using it since last July didn't help anything. I slapped it back together and it is way better so I am going to smear a little RTV on the cut in the sheath and call it good for now. Now I need to clean it up good but maybe I will go drop it in the water after work for the real test first.

Thanks a bunch A-Owners
22R

brotherxb03

Bass pro use to sell a kit that was 2- S/S nuts with a hole taped in each that has a nylon plug in it that had a bottle of max lube u would hook to it, worked great. The nuts took the place of the steering tube nuts and after install u would drill thru the hole in the nut thru the steering tube for the lube to pass.

brotherxb03

I looked it up and they still sell it at bass pro, it's called the Cable buddy TM steering cable lubrication system. It comes with 1 nut and the bottle of lube with hose adaptor for 36.99, so u would need 2 kits. I have a used kit I had on before my hydraulic steering, but I can only find 1 nut.

22R

I ran mine last weekend and it is fine for now. I will keep my eye out for a used cable for the right hand side as the other is still good. Thanks for the replies Guys.

22R