Steering Wheel Trim Switch

NormALLY

Can someone explain why my Allison steering wheel trim buttons has been erratic. It's been cold out and the trim switch works when it wants too. The shift control button works fine. What's it look like under the steering wheel of my XB02. I know the switch is built into the steering wheel assy. Thanks.

GotMyAlly

Can someone explain why my Allison steering wheel trim buttons has been erratic. It's been cold out and the trim switch works when it wants too. The shift control button works fine. What's it look like under the steering wheel of my XB02. I know the switch is built into the steering wheel assy. Thanks.
If you have the old style rocker switch on the wheel, I think its wires are just spliced into the trim wires from the hammer mounted trim switch. Either your connections there are loose or maybe you got a little moisture in the wheel mounted switch.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
If the shift mounted switch works fine, it's likely the wheel switch itself.

I like to have the rocker switches on all three spokes of my wheels. Currently my race boat is set up this way and my bassboat only has 2.

The race boat had a switch that went bad and acted just as yours does.

Get ready for sticker shock when you hear the price of that switch. Maybe somebody knows an alternate source for them?

Myron

this is one of the times that you get what you pay for, these switches are very good quality and last a long time, mine have been in use for over 10 years with no problems

GotMyAlly

I may have one of the switches in my garage. It is used but worked fine when I took it off and went to the blinker style. I'll look when I get home. If I have it, you can have it for the cost of postage.

catfish123

I bought one not too long ago........I believe it was around $65.00.

Blue Gray in PA

Look closely at the trim switch and find the name and model number on it. I did an online search and found a number of places I could buy it. Eventually I got mine from Allied Electronics and it was half the price I would have paid if I had bought it from Allison. I like to buy from Allison when possible but getting two new ones for the price of one was too good to pass up. I kept the original as a backup. In case you're not familiar with switches like that, you can remove the clear cover by gently prying it with a small screw driver and can then add a label or color the two sides to fit your preferences. Hope this helps - if not drop me a line. Happy Holidays everyone!

NormALLY

I took it apart last night. Please note this is cable steering. My steering wheel has 2 switches and the wires tie together under the steering wheel. I found a broken connection at the splice where the power splits off to both switches. The red power wire was soldered and crimped with heatshrink and had broke off the end of the connector. It appears the wire bundle is taking up the movement of the steering wheel which over time started a problem from flexing the wires back and forth. The wire bundle runs straight down the hollow steering shaft and out past the rack and pinion.

Thanks guys for the help and GotMyAlly for the awesome offer but I won't be needing the switch in this case.

Norm

Blue Gray in PA

That's good news Norm. I have the same system on mine and would suggest leaving some slack where the wires exit the shaft beyond the racks. I also put shrink tubing around the three-wire bundle as it passes through the shaft - it was a snug fit but gives extra protection where the wires exit the shaft.

froggy

Norm,

Glad you are fixed.

I had the same, intermittent, problem on mine but the solution was different.

I actually replaced the high $$$$, Rockwell, trim switch and still had the same problem (too late to save the old switch though-threw it away before I found out the new switch didn't fix the problem).

My problem was at the engine, where the boat's trim wires attach to the harness. The dealer had used the, cheap, clamp and shove connectors and they were intermittent. I soldered the connections and problem solved.

froggy

NormALLY

Yeah Froggy mine was intermitent as well. The way it was acting I thought it was set up like a steering wheel horn where you have a roller going around a flat disc. But Blue Gray in PA is correct in that you should try let the wires run loosely coming out of the steering shaft to allow for movement.