Stock SS 2000 + stock sportsmaster

St

Hello!

I have a stock Allison SS 2000 (original lip) with a stock merc 2.5 280 (7 700 rpm limiter) 15 " mid, sportsmaster 1.87:1 gear and Mercury lightning et 14,5 x 30 prop. Everything is stock from the factory. No mods!

This summer only I have run 600 miles with the boat (alot of top end running) and can run full throttle at the limiter all day long with two passengers, one passenger and by myself. Top speed at limiter is 106-108 mph. I have never ever had any tendency of having a blow out or similar. Runs perfect but on limiter all the time....

As you probably understand I'm pcraving for a 32 to see how much top speed there is... My question:

- Has anyone run 110 + with stock hull and stock sportsmaster?

- Am I begging for blow out considering I havent done any mods or am I ok as long as Im careful?

- Also, what do you think about 3-blade hydromotives? Good or bad on a SS2000?

I'm running prop shaft slightly above pad (1/3 inch or so)

Thanks!

//Oskar

whipper

Sounds like you have her dialed in. Im sure with that Q some very fast and experianced SS owners with 260,280,and 300 drags will chime in. My guess is they will say get a differant box to run higher rpm and stick to the 30 and less props to go over 110. But thats just a guess as i havent done those speeds in an SS before but know guys who have. Propmanjay ran his ss in the teens lots before. Ran a 28 pitch prop. He told me that he had to get lift taken out of some props because above 110 the SS can get real flighty. i only know this because I bought a prop of him that he did this to. It was a drag4 with cup taken out. So i would say thats not a good choise for 110+ at least.:beer:

GREAT Q by the way:] I want to hear this also.

Last edited:

SSTOM

I wouldn't try 110+ with a stock lip and a stock sportmaster IMO. I have owned my SS for 10yrs I run a slightly modded sm and a worked pad. Boat handles like a dream and will flat haul.

john4utvols

I'm sure it can be done with a 31 or 32, but why take away from your hole shot. I would swap my gears to 1.75 and run the same prop. You want see much or any at all loss from hole shot.

allisonriverrat

You want be disappointed with a hydro motive at all.. Just give Todd a call and tell him what you are doing. He can fix u up.

2003225X

I have an 05 hull with a stock lip and run approx 1/8th of an inch below the pad.

catfish123

And after being in Matt's boat many times with a 225X, it is hard to imagine why anyone needs more power than this motor has to offer on an SS 2000.

LakeAnna

And after being in Matt's boat many times with a 225X, it is hard to imagine why anyone needs more power than this motor has to offer on an SS 2000.
WHAT???? Really
I'm sure Matt's boat is nice but..... I shouldn't say anything I guess with my slow *** GS. Don't get me wrong------- I love my 225x but it's not quite enough juice compared to your 280 or any nice 2.5 high rev machine.

Last edited:

catfish123

A real quick 100+ mph is more than satisfactory........at least for me.........LOL

LakeAnna

Just give him the 280... with 260 electrics.

Side note: $$$$ + $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fast.

propmanjay

My SSr got a scary right lean after 104 before I worked the Sport Master L/U. The best I ever ran was 111, stock lip with a 280 with 260 electronics. I had the most fun with a Yamaha drag 24" or 22" spanking v drives. Top end will sooner or later send you back the other direction. My SS didn't like trim, anything past parallel and you were flirting with a bat turn. I did it once and didn't like it. Good luck and be safe.

2003225X

There are many days I go back and forth about putting a 280 on mine. When you are around one and see how well one can run when it is right it is hard not to want one.

I do know where there is an 05 280 powerhead that is fully broken in correctly. The owner is willing to take my current powerhead and a little cash and do it. Some days I think its a smart move, and other days I think not.

I have calculated the numbers, and the amount of hours per year I put on my engine would cost me approximately $250 more for oil and gas per year compared to my 225x.

I have also had a very long conversation with the owner of this motor about l ring and bearing life. He stated with the "new technology" rings and running the motor with a little sense 200-300 hours before even thinking about it.

Pretty much comes down to the extra cost I stated annually to run it and when it needs rebuilt rebuilding it. No doubt about one thing...the performance would be there.

St

Thank you guys for all the fun reading. I have been away this weekend and haven't had the opportunity to reply until now.

I'm really happy about how the boat runs as it is right now. Its a killer combo of speed and allround performance. 95 % of the time I don't want anything more, its just those days when the water is perfect and I feel I could go much faster.. I feel "limited", and it would also be fun to do at least one 110 + run just for the number itself. :p

I can see how a 1.75 gear could be a great solution, but I live in north of Sweden (Europe) and sportscaster gearcases are very hard to find. Also, I like how the boat runs with my current set up and thought it would be very simple just to switch to a 32" whenever I feel the time is right for flat out running.

I called a Swedish racing team (Lundin Racing) yesterday and they told me they could remove the limiter for only 200 USD. I thought this might be the perfect solution. I will still have the exact setup but will be able to run a couple of miles faster. What do you think about that? Are there any drawbacks about removing the limiter instead of switching to 260 electronics?

Whats the fastest anyone have run with stock hull and stock sportsmaster? Seems like almost everyone is running with mods (My SS2000 is the only Allison in Sweden and I don't think there is anyone that could help me with modifying the pad or gearcase).

propmanjay

If you run 260 electronics or 280 with no limit and turn it past 9000 I would make sure you run a 56lb regulator. 38lb regulator can't supply the fuel you will need. Sounds like you have a very good set up like it is. Speed just cost money, how fast do you want to go? I doubt you have many if any that can match what you already have.

Bobalouie

You could easily and safely bump your limiter from 7750 to 8250. Thats what the ROS version of that engine had as a limiter, and there were no other changes. I run a 280 with 260 elecs, and if you can do that, I like it better for going above 8250. Merc put the limiter there because that was getting close to the Max RPMs of the alternator, which is why I say I would be comfortable with 8250 maybe 8500 if you were keeping the stock elecs.

St

Thought it was time for me to wake up my old thread....

During the winter I decided to remove the limiter in my con-box. I sent the box to the marina who said they could remove it, but unfortunately they only knew how to do it on the ros-box so I got i back with the limiter still at 7 750 rpm.

Recently I found a used Mazco 14,5x32 for 19 spline sportsmaster that was used one time only (perfect contition) on ebay. I thought I would give it a try so I bought it.

I'm still waiting on delivery, but as soon as I got it I will share the results with you. :)