Straight answers needed!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Q1: When mounting the fuel/water separator for a 280 and its electric fuel pump, in a Grandsport with a 30 gallon tank, how low would you place these two items within the compartment?

Q2: Should you mount the fuel pump in a vertical (output facing UP), or horizontal position, or how much does it matter?

I want to get this done and don't want to screw up!

If all else fails, I'll just copy the setup in my XB2003....separator and pump each about 4" below the top of the tank, pump mounted vertically. Haven't had any problems with this setup.

Thanks guys...

Lou

ALLISONMAN

just mount your pump lower than your separator!!!!!these pumps like to push and are not good at all for pulling fuel!!!!!

B

BP

2fast4mom said:
Q1: When mounting the fuel/water separator for a 280 and its electric fuel pump, in a Grandsport with a 30 gallon tank, how low would you place these two items within the compartment?
I don't run one due to the paper element deteriorating and fouling up things upstream.
If you must..... route it on the pressure side of the pump.

2fast4mom said:
Q2: Should you mount the fuel pump in a vertical (output facing UP), or horizontal position, or how much does it matter?
Mount the pump as low as you can, you can then advantage of the siphoning effect that occurs in the "tank to pump inlet line".
These Bosch pumps are designed to push, not suck, and this arrangement will be easier on it.
Vertical or horizontal orientation should not matter. Most automotive applications of this pump, have them mounted horizontal.

B

BP

Oops didnt see Allisonmans post. Don't mean to be a re-peater :lol:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
just mount your pump lower than your separator!!!!!these pumps like to push and are not good at all for pulling fuel!!!!!
THANKS that is exactly opposite how the thing was installed previously...the pump was ABOVE the separator, maybe this was part of the problem!! At least two P/H's wasted with no real cause found for those failures! But the fuel system sounded FUNNY like air bubbles in it or debris or whatever..just a spitting kind of sound you could even feel up at the regulator near the fuel rail...hmm...