Sunday Morning

strip

My 16 year old daughter chose to hunt the stand we call jawbone. Its just a simple home built basket stand about 25 feet up a pine tree in a pine plantation. It has a 250 yd shooting lane right through the heart of a 5 year old clear cut. I was hunting a stand about a thousand yds away. (I like to be close enough to the kids to know when they shoot). at 10:00 am sunday I heard her bust a cap on her 7mm-08. Then I get a text that says. "I think I missed her she was all the way at the end of the lane" I respond well you need to hold your crosshairs at the top of their back that far out. 5 mins later I hear her little rifle sound off again. the text says "I got that one, it went down." I tell her I'll be there in a min, (I had to track one that I shot at 30 yds) anyway, when I got to my daughter she was standing there looking at both deer she shot. They fell about 4 feet apart. The range finder said 225 yds. one was a small doe, the other a button buck. I am a proud papa for having a daughter that can pile them up at such a range.

Attachments

Last edited:

RedAllison

Aint NUTHIN like bein there with em is it bro? :beer:

I've kilt some big critters from the Dakota's, out to the Rockies and even way down in the TX brush near old Mexico... but NOTHING is like seeing the excitement and feelings of accomplishment in your kids eyes when they are learning the craft right there around home.

Lifetime memories, :cool
RA

Alli-drenaline Rush

Congrats Strip!

Got a 7mm-08 for the boys..... we have a saying after several successful hunts......

"7-0-8 lays 'em straight!" :big grin

Texas Dear

Me and my wife both shoot 7m 08. It is excellent calliber for deer hunting. Congrats to your daughter on a double wammy.

h2oskiier30

I have a brand new, never shot Steyr Mountain rifle in 7-08 with a 3-12x56 Meopta scope on it...just waiting for my son to get old enough for it.

RedAllison

Congrats!

20 someodd years ago I had a Rem. Model 7 Mountain Rifle in 7-08, it wore a Nikon atop it. I handloaded 140grn Nosler Partitions for it and wow would that lil jewel shoot. I was on the ground slinkin around one frozen morning and as I eased around a field corner there 95 yds away stood a dandy 18inch 8ptr. I popped him dead in the shoulder, the buck jumped straight up into the air. Crashed flat on his belly and got up and 3 legged it 100yds to the woodline. I thought to myself, "Welp that was easy, he'll be just inside those woods".

4 hours, 500yds and practically no bloodtrail later I was cussing that 7-08 and myself for not carrying my 7mag! :banghead

I was so furious at that rifle I got rid of it the following spring. (The ONLY gun I've ever gotten rid of, save for a shotgun I traded out of in my youth.) Now I could KICK MY OWN AZZ for ever getting rid of perhaps THE greatest handling deer rifle I'd ever had in my hands. :very sad I don't know whatever happened in that case, I assume the shoulder took the brunt of the Noslers fury yet it didn't reach into the lungs because the buck just never laid down and wasn't bleeding. :confused:

I've since threatened to buy another 7-08 and stoke it full of Barnes Triple Shocks which WILL blow through bothsides, regardless of whats between those sides as well. NO ONE has ever doubted the 7-08s lil brother and daddy cartridges (the .243 and .308) so why the 7-08 never got bigger has always been a mystery to me. (Honestly it's because the 7RemMag had a couple decades on it and had the most important word in gunsales in it's name... MAGNUM!) The sweetest shooting rifle I own is a big brother too the 7-08, it's a Remington Custom Shop rig built personally for a Remington Rep that I conned out of it. It's a .280 Rem. My largest buck to date (154inch 14ptr from southern MO) was taken with my .280. But with a 24" 7Mag blank (heavier contour) stainless with laminated stock it just isn't a lightweight, easy carrying rifle.

If I wasn't sworn off of another stainless and composite gun I'd go tomorrow and order a Kimber 84M Montana in 7-08 and tote it exclusively on my new farm for deer. A 5# rifle in that cartridge is about as close to the cats silk pj's as one can get a script for. :beer:
RA