Surge tank location

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Got a surge tank for my XR. Question: Is it best to mount these horizontally, or vertically? Vertical seems to make more sense, with the rounded part at the bottom...?

Rocket

I'm sorry I don't really know! :?

Try asking Jay Smith at JSRE...! :wink:

GPI Racing

Most surge tanks require a seperate fuel pump to feed the surge tank then the high pressure pump to feed the engine. Seebold Racing has the best one I've seen and through the use of some one way valves doesn't seem to need the use of a additional pump. They call it a Vapor tank on the site but you can check it out at www.seebold.com

Randy

ziemer

Mine is mounted vertically, however mine sounds like it may be a little bit different than what you have. Mine is about 4"-5" in diameter and about 14" +/- tall. A holley red pump pulls from the main tank into the surge and high bosch efi pump pulls from the bottom of the surge tank. My return line from the motor goes into the surge and I have an overflow from the surge back into the main tank. So far this method has worked perfectly and it will drain the main tank completely and use every last bit of fuel before the motor quits. :wink:

GPI Racing

Ziemer,

Yours is the type of system I'm used to using. Takes an extra pump but it guarantees fuel flow. Unless you run out of gas.. :eek: totally.

Randy

ziemer

Unless you run out of gas.. totally.
Yes, and I found out last weekend it is possible to do just that. :shock:
(At least I was testing and not racing when it happened. :wink: )