The honeymoon is over...XTB-21 and it is most definitely "All Good"

G Allen

Got the registration renewal forms from the state for the ride and the trailer recently...that means that I made it thorough the first year of Allison boat ownership. Thinking back, the decision to drive to Walls, Mississippi from Heber, Utah 3300 mile round trip to pick it up sight unseen, online pics only led to my best boating experiences ever. I got to join an interesting group of owners, received quite a bit of good advice, and due to some insatiable online reading and YouTubing gleaned quite a few nuggets of knowledge. I put my own stamp and spin on mine, creating the fastest multi species fishing boat that I have ever witnessed, even though my speeds attained are only ho-hum compared to other Allison owner results.

The Koke Whore delivered a freezer full of Salmon this summer, and validated my choices leading to my own Allison first, beating the factory to the punch. She cost more, but delivered more fun than the Hookers banging on their windows with quarters while I walked through the Red Light district in Amsterdam and Utrecht in The Netherlands while touring Europe with a rock-n-roll band in 2012. I made the decision to not partake of because I did not want to get spoiled and have those memories cause me to be less than enthusiastic in my enjoyment of someone really special, non-professional at a later time. 50 Euros, about 75 dollars was the going rate, and most of them looked really, really hot! Damn! that is a lot cheaper than going on a date in the good ol' USA and not getting any after shelling out for dinner and drinks...reminded me of that Yes Who song "American Woman..." In looking back there is no regret...both not enjoying the hookers and deciding to buy the boat. One was the forgoing of a few pleasurable moments, the other a decision leading a remaining lifetime of enjoyment as an Allison boat owner.

During my brief ownership, I removed and sold the original 150 pro max powerhead back to a previous owner of my boat, found an exceptionally nice super low hour 225 powerhead, learned what VST meant in getting it installed, (some nice advantages with that) replaced the Titus coned original preload gear case with the twice welded skeg with a used sport master fat shaft having Jason Wolf installed fresh guts, eventually learned how to buff out the top cap including the textured areas, met some very cool, sick and wrong folks at WAR 2019, and have a few scary moments at the helm as part of the learning curve, even after studying "The Red Book" over and over. Best words of wisdom though most definitely, were and is: "Remember your training, drive through it, it's going to be fine..." as well as wearing a high speed vest and clipping in to the "Killswitch engage."

Learned at WAR 2019 after getting rained out all but one or two half days what "It's going to be fine, drink your way through it" meant, got to witness John R. preaching on Fireball, remembering that wild eyed grinning look on Neil's face while carrying a couple fifths of Fireball on the way to the clubhouse like a kid about to prank his school teacher. Experienced a prop blade split/blowout tutorial in person at 87 mph in Whitney's 2003 ride, which scared me less than when my ride washes the side decals from the bump, bump, bump not timed right... Saw Julie earn her new WAR nickname, stopped for the first time ever at a dispensary on the way, learned how to pass the fourth or fifth day in a row rained out, (remember that song...Da Da Da, Da Da Da Da, I Wanna Be Sedated)... Met some owners that knew how to agree to disagree while at the same time unmercifully ragging each other while very, very happily drunk... Met Gene, one of the kindest persons ever, saw the look on Lars' face when he asked me if my boat had an automatic bilge pump and then when he told me to take it out of the water... I did, immediately. Experienced whitecaps with driving rain at 55 mph smooth as silk, (YES the XTB is unreal good in wind chop, another time nearly had a blow over after hitting a pig boat wake wrong while flying for 80 feet... Saw some really hardcore, beyond pro level skilled fishermen in their A-boats and Strokers. Am leaving some things out, but overall, got to enjoy some of the best not normal folks I ever got to meet in my entire life there. There is room for many more for War 2020...and I will return, and the Salmon WILL fear me. If you own an Allison, Bullet, Stroker or even a cookie cutter and live within a thousand miles of Salt creek RV campground and you know about it and don't show up, you really, really kinda suck.

Now a few maintenance thangs are on my punch list. One is a very ugly scratched up pad, damage to the trailing edge and deformation/ reduction of the lip, some busted off chunks of the center most chines near the stern, (from the previous three owners), also finding a way to reattach some of the Bluewater diodes for night use that came unstuck because the so called self adhesive side wore out. I need to replace the stereo that got destroyed because of my carelessness in leaving the face plate sitting on top where a brief Utah downpour soaked it, would like to witness the Phoenix like rebirth of the Sack-O-Parts, get another two props, one for Shasta and one for the over 7500 foot elevation Utah home lakes, and put some of the leads to the starter battery on to the master starter battery switch to prevent parasitic losses/discharge of said battery. I know that the weight of three group 29's is hurting the hull performance, so have a personally researched lithium solution in mind for in the future years after I save up some more tacos to pay for it. The most current and more affordable project will be the purchase of two underwater video camera solutions, one for trolling to watch the action of my underwater rigs and one for jigging over 100 feet deep for the 40+ pound lake trout in Flaming Gorge, UT. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on those, a few more hours of due diligence research needs to be done.

Am really, really liking forward to next season, right now a stiff wind is blowing that will bring a heavy snowstorm to the local ski resorts, so need to get on that bicycle and get my ski legs back, and get the motor and hull winter covers and under hull cover prop-ups on the boat and motor, change the gear case oil, and shoot some fogging oil into the cylinders within the next month at the time that my season is over.

The best thing about having an Allison is getting to drive one. Around here in BF Utah most of the boats are multi-species rides, the hateful Pig boats and their stupid-ass inconsiderate wrong way driving owners who don't know about counterclockwise rotation on the lake, and the cookie cutters that throw a 20 foot high rooster tail at uh, 40-50 mph.

Two weeks ago I was 10-15 miles away from the boat ramp at one of the 7600 ft altitude home lakes when some nasty huge black clouds suddenly appeared over the mountain tops spitting lightning. I pulled up my trolling rigs, removed the down riggers, dropped and encased the bimini and put the Koke Whore in her comfy cruise double nickel pace, got to the dock, trailered the boat, and sat in the truck cab in the ramp parking lot while the rumbling, snapping monster mountain thunder cell approached. Ten minutes later the wind blew, the panda flew, and I couldn't see for an hour or two, rain poured down in 40 mph wind driven sheets, and the parking lot had a quarter inch thick sheet flow of water running over it. I enjoyed that very much because many of the other boats did not get back in time because they were too slow...their owners were miserable and anxious. Buy an Allison, Suckas! Sometimes speed is safety.

Last edited:

G Allen

Dave, you taught me quite a few things in our exchanged PM's here. Still have a ton more to learn. Grateful!

G Allen

...Are the two underwater video cameras I had been researching and wanting to try, I pulled the trigger on FeeBay to order a trolling camera and a deep water camera. Trolling cam is the Spydro 16gb deluxe kit, and the latest offering from Eyoyo, their 50 meter cable camera with a 9 inch screen that sits in it's own little waterproof diving bell, the camera inside can be aimed via a remote control anywhere 360 degrees horizontally, also has LED's to illuminate the dark depths if necessary. The idea is that he who fishes where fish are not catches no fish.

I figure that the cabled camera can be used to check out structure possibilities for presence of fish, with the possibility of aiming it exactly where I want at the 60-100 foot plus depths that Mackinaw enjoy hanging out in. The Spydro has more features than Carter has pills, will be useful in trolling for Kokes and trout. I will be learning how these work near the end of the current fishing season, and will try to use one or both of them should I decide to do some ice fishing. The cabled camera is supposed to be great for that. By next spring I'll know whether either or both end up zeroes or heroes...

Have not seen a single post here about using underwater cameras for fishing out of an Allison, hoping for another "First."