The Sack O Cats is dead

GFinch

Well at least it didn't give up during the War08. It warned me several ways, butt gave up a week later this Saturday. I felt it and the pyro flashed the pending doom, butt she got me back to the dock before giving up.
The broken flywheel bolt has been a source of mysterious aluminum flakes for a couple of months. I think it was bumping the timing back further and further over time.
The pieces stuck to the magnet were stuck in the piston, not sure yet their origin, not looking good.

I had gone to the lake to find the problem of ill running and it found me first! I will pull it down this coming week to assess the damage.:help

Attachments

R

Redding XB21

:shock:Sorry to hear of the loss of the cats. The bolts will get ya every time.
I had a "tower of Power" ( not the Bobby Brown type) that had an intermitten tick. Turned out to be a broken rod bolt tapping on the case. Not enough clearence to come all the way out, but with enough revs the rod broke.:embarassed
What stage is the monster in? If nothing going, strap on a black one and fish!:gone fishing

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Gary it's not dead, just taking a cat nap. I'm all but certain you have the motive and the means to wake her up again.

Different brand, same......

Really sorry to hear about that, it stinks.

hack02

It doesn't look all that bad. At least it didn't ventilate itself. And one a good note you don't have to buy 300 dollar pistons from Merc.

FLYING BUTCHER

Sorry for the mechanical problem. If ya can look on any bright side, it doesn't look like it is all that bad. Bad of course but it could have been worse. Not a good time of the year either/ Good luck on getten her back runnin

R

Redding XB21

For this OMCEZZ how many lives is it? Is that why you call it your "sack o cats". I know you have posted some other stick/stack/stuck pictures. Oh well,:beer: and tinker some more.

GFinch

What stage is the monster in?
Still in teething stages, incompatibility of ignition and EFI unit. It should be able to tune it's self thru the input of Pyros.

It looks like it could have been a whole lot worse.
It might have taken the sleeve, don't know yet.

You going to try it again?
If it hasn't sawed itself in half, Damm straight it's going together again.

Gary, you

SLOmofo

Up Date..... Poor Kitty
Torn down, block sent away for a new sleeve. Seems the reed cage was comming loose from the manafold, that would explane the lack of power, butt...... then the screws holding the reed plate came out. They decided to run thru the ports, broke the sleeve, and do the happy dance with the piston. Also found a couple pieces in the cylinder below.

Need to find a way to stuff the reed/manafold aera, any suggestions!

Attachments

badbait

Need to find a way to stuff the reed/manafold aera, any suggestions!

I'm not going to touch that line. Did you have some red locktite on those screws? It just goes to shows you how much trouble a screw can get you into.

GFinch

Yeah, as I remember you were the one that allowed me to feel your bottom at Naci.
I didn't put the reed blocks togeather, but I'm going to spot weld the little fish poops to the reed plate.
I don't have any offspring ........ that I know of.

Someone out there should have suggestions on the decreasing of crankcase aera.

R

Redding XB21

:embarassed:embarassed dog gone you guys, now the entire community knows what we do out here. Bottom checking and stuffin.:embarassed Not to mention the leftie loosie?

Gary, thanks for sharing the loctite

GFinch

:beer: It's alive! It was just taking a cat nap.

Took ALL day to figure out what I did. It didn't dawn on me that by cutting the intake .140 the EFI pick up wasn't seeing enough of the magnets. With the trouble at the WAR I assumed it was an ongoing problem. About 10:30 the starter died, luckily I got towed 1/4 mile back to the ramp. Fixed the starter in the parking lot and then fought with the demons till about 4:30.

:cuss Duh........

Got about 1 1/2 hours break in time on it now.

FLYING BUTCHER

I lost a reed pedal last week and when I tore her down a screw was missing from bar that holds reeds on the plate. Pulled heads and "got a break for a change" NO DAMAGE-screw must exited through the exhaust port??

SLOmofo

I lost a reed pedal last week and when I tore her down a screw was missing from bar that holds reeds on the plate. Pulled heads and "got a break for a change" NO DAMAGE-screw must exited through the exhaust port??
Check to make sure it isn't in another cylinder. One Piece of the sleeve was on the crank shaft in #3 the cylinder below #1 which was the one that broke.
This was on an OMC which has exhaust runners, not a common exhaust chest as on a Merc.

GFinch

The Sack O Cats is dead! XXXXXXXXX All nine lives, gone! :very sad
It was a good life, short, but each time to the lake saw improvement.

You know it's a bad day.....

When you have to be towed in, put the boat on the trailer and the sun isn't on the launch ramp yet.

You get home and as you are removing the cowling you notice a main bearing roller sitting on the transom.

You see lots of metal and then a rod bolt in the lower pan.

You see a hole on both sides of the front half, one of them has a rod sticking out of it.

You wonder what the spot price of scrap aluminum is..............:gone fishing

Attachments