Thinkin bout Dale Hollow this winter?

RedAllison

Lookin to see if anyone is interested in a long weekend (Fri-Sun) in Jan or early Feb at Dale Hollow for some classic, coldwater "ol brown fish" bassin?

I've never been, have lived maybe 3-3.5 hrs from the lake for nearly 20 years now but just never have taken the time to go up there and try it out. Really considerin it for this comin winter. I might would leave up after work Thursday and get up there that night. Fish with a guide Friday just to see what they do and recommend and then fish Sat and most of Sunday on my own before headin forda house mid afternoon Sun.

Nothin fancy and aint 100% sure yet but kinda kickin around the idea. For some strange reason I've kinda gotten hooked on light line, silver buddys, TN handled spinnin reels and steep banks in the winter time on Pickwick. Figgert I might as well give it a shot where it was actually invented and perfected. WTH might even try that "float n fly" and other such tactics I've heard about for years but never done down here on the muddy side of TN. If I catch a 4-6# smallie then so much the better, mainly just wanna go to see that beautiful lake and enjoy winter fishin on legendary waters. :beer:

Anyone else thinkin bout numb fingers and ice in the boat OTHERN dippin into da cooler for another coldun??? :gone fishing
RA

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Ya'll are nuts. To hell with that finger numbing fishing. I say head south like south Florida around January for some bedding hawgs!

champ198

RA, float-n-fly and silver buddies are the ticket. Your 997si is going to be a boon to you finding the bait balls with the fish underneath. Dale can tough. Just about the entire lake looks "fishy". As pointed out above, keep them fangers warm!! I plan to head up this winter and fish myself. I've never done well there maybe because I get up there maybe once or twice a year. It's a good drive from here - about 2 hours. I've always heard that if it's a snowin', the small mouth are gonna be biting!!

RedAllison

Yep Champ and I'm replacin my 997 with the IMAX screen 1197, gonna see em flarin their gills and smilin at me!!! :gone fishing :wink

Yep the ol timers up there winter fishin say if the skies are high and bluebird then go huntin or stay home. Clouds and approaching weather turn on "them ol brown fish"...

:beer:
RA

champ198

Jim Duckworth has a float-n-fly video that has helped me. It was one of his first videos and totally a homemade video production but it has some good tips. I believe he shows you areas on the map at Dale Hollow on where to go and is a good starting point. You can pick these up at Bass Pro I think, they have them in Nashville.

GotMyAlly

I don't care for the cold either, but I'll endure it to take advantage of the benefits of those frigid months....no jet skis, very few other fishermen, etc.

TysPop

I'm in. It's only a short 2 1/2 hour drive from Clarksville and like you Red, I crave a big "Smallie".

bassracr

Hey Red, you could get in a practice run before then. each year [1st. weekend in december} there is a smallmouth tournament out of Horse creek dock, its the Billy Westmoreland Invitational. Its always a good excuse not to work on that weekend. alot of good out of town smallmouth guys show up each year. they have a dinner/banquet the night before the tournament. I think the entry fee is only 30 or 40 bucks. so git ye a padner and come on down!

bassracr

The Billy Westmoreland Smallmouth Invitational on dale hollow lake will be happening this coming weekend. you can get the details from the Horse Creek Dock. Its a good excuse to leave the house and have a chance to catch some quallity smallies.

flatout

Damn i wish I could be there. My baby is hibernating up here until spring. Maybe next year....

fishnfireman

Sounds like fun..

However I'll let you boys have them 4 to 6 lb smallies with the ice in your rod tips.
Figure I'll stick with falcon and Amistad and some double digit big mouths..where it seldom gets below freezing !