Thinking About a Change

Westy

I'm thinking about selling my JSRE 280 and putting a ProMax 225 on my XB03. How much speed, acceleration would I lose? I love the sound and performance of my 280 but I really fish alot and have already put 47.9 hours on my fresh rebuild in less then a year. At this rate I'll be re-ringing every three years or less.

What would a complete 280 w/20" sporty be worth? I would through in the trim system as well since the ProMax would have a internal trim system.

resqu-u

After the Rally I've thought about the same thing just in the other direction.. I sent you a PM.

2003225X

My dad and I both have XB2003 Allisons... I have a 225X and he has a 280 offshore so I know the following for a fact...

The 280 will outperform a 225 promax in every aspect. The 280 has a MUCH better holeshot. The 280 also accelereates better than my 225X. As for top end, if you were running equal pitch props (28 OT for example) I will be done at 93 mph or so and the 280 has another 8-10mph left.

Everyone has their own opinion and thoughts. I have heard people say that a 225 promax will stay right with a 280 out of the hole and up to 70 mph. If that is happening, that 280 is awfully sick.

Everyone also has their opinion on ring life... Tearing one down at 100 hours to soley put rings in is a waste of time and money. Unless you are out there turning big rpms you should see 150-200 hours of run time with no issue.

Darth VMAX

My dad and I both have XB2003 Allisons... I have a 225X and he has a 280 offshore so I know the following for a fact...

The 280 will outperform a 225 promax in every aspect. The 280 has a MUCH better holeshot. The 280 also accelereates better than my 225X. As for top end, if you were running equal pitch props (28 OT for example) I will be done at 93 mph or so and the 280 has another 8-10mph left.

Everyone has their own opinion and thoughts. I have heard people say that a 225 promax will stay right with a 280 out of the hole and up to 70 mph. If that is happening, that 280 is awfully sick.

Everyone also has their opinion on ring life... Tearing one down at 100 hours to soley put rings in is a waste of time and money. Unless you are out there turning big rpms you should see 150-200 hours of run time with no issue.
So, are you going to end up with a 280 some day? ;-)

2003225X

That is the motor I would like to have. The problem with buying them "used" is you never know if the person is being honest with what is in them or not. After hearing a couple stories, I really don't feel like getting a motor that has 3 different kinds of pistons in it.

Lee Sanderson will be getting his hands on 1 or 2 280s that he is going to rebuild. Lee is one guy I trust completely, and I know if he does the motor it will be right.

I have had a person or two say they would trade me my 225X for their 280, but then they just end up selling the motor outright.

We will see what happens I guess!

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
That is the motor I would like to have. The problem with buying them "used" is you never know if the person is being honest with what is in them or not. After hearing a couple stories, I really don't feel like getting a motor that has 3 different kinds of pistons in it.

Lee Sanderson will be getting his hands on 1 or 2 280s that he is going to rebuild. Lee is one guy I trust completely, and I know if he does the motor it will be right.

I have had a person or two say they would trade me my 225X for their 280, but then they just end up selling the motor outright.

We will see what happens I guess![/QUOTE

Let me know when your ready, i have a brand new long block drop on. Out of the box from mercury.With the electronics from allisoon man,done by brendan power.its just sittin on the shelf.

JaySmithRacing

(John) jas638 I see by the decal on your cowling you and from what Westy posted are BOTH still running JSRE engines and having good luck with them , thats GREAT..

Westy what do you want for the 280 motor outright cause I KNOW whats in it AND how it was built , are you wanting to sell the powerhead or the complete motor ? You can PM me here, BBC, or Scream and Fly, or just call you have my contacts.

Jay

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
yes still running my jsre260 mod. LOVE IT!!!!! I picked up the 280 long block by chance. after you did the 260 for me. its a long story ,helped a friend with finances.when things didn't get better he offered me the long block . it was still in the box. i put it together with some like new electronics.i have not started the motor yet. thanks for the offer on buying it,but i am savin it for my stv (when i find the right one) . i am gonna send you the motor for port work and inspection(cause i heard some horror stories of merc crate motors)along with start up and pre break-in. i looking forward to my next jsre motor. oh an just for the record ,about buying rebuilt motors from forum members. i know a guy that bought a jsre drop on from a fellow forum member,that motor is sweet.runs right along side me. i put my trust in jay!

2003225X

yes still running my jsre260 mod. LOVE IT!!!!! I picked up the 280 long block by chance. after you did the 260 for me. its a long story ,helped a friend with finances.when things didn't get better he offered me the long block . it was still in the box. i put it together with some like new electronics.i have not started the motor yet. thanks for the offer on buying it,but i am savin it for my stv (when i find the right one) . i am gonna send you the motor for port work and inspection(cause i heard some horror stories of merc crate motors)along with start up and pre break-in. i looking forward to my next jsre motor. oh an just for the record ,about buying rebuilt motors from forum members. i know a guy that bought a jsre drop on from a fellow forum member,that motor is sweet.runs right along side me. i put my trust in jay!

I don't think he was offering to buy your 280...

Thanks for making me aware of the 280 powerhead you have, but when I decide to go with one, Lee Sanderson will be the one to build it.

JaySmithRacing

Thanks for the KUDO's John and Westy, I appreciate it guys , I build all JSRE engines like I did you guys' ( like they belong to me )

This has been a weird year trying to keep up with the high influx of engines arriving from here and abroad as well as machine work and for an old fart of near 60 its been a challenge. It's getting to a point I work on who's and what things I want to and others I just say I'm covered up and can't get to it... :) I can/will knock things out pretty fast if the moon and stars align LOL.. Did a customers 280 O ringed heads this week as the CNC Mill was open/free and they were turned around cat quick, returned to Iowa and he loved em..

If I don't have enough to deal with I'm introducing a new tool for the more advanced home engine builder guy in a few weeks that I've been using for years and its amazing just got back from CNC contractor last week.....

And I was talking about Westy's complete drop on or complete 280 motor..

Jay

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
back and forth in todays heat 95degree plus,doin yard work early i took a quick look at the post.must have read it wrong,sorry jay. guess you'll have to make me an offer after i send it to ya for some tweaking!!!! ;). and have had my fun with it.cause you will then know exactly whats into it, talk to ya soon. john

Westy

Jay, thanks for the offer to buy my 280 but after thinking a little more about this I've decided that I'm going to keep my 280. BTW, It runs awesome since it's had the JSRE love done to it.