Those that make long runs

Npark

What's your combo?

Hull/weight, engine, prop and prop shaft size? What RPM do you cruise at most of the time and have you broken a prop shaft?

I have Bracks old 2002t (920#) and bought a nice 280ss for it. After a few weeks I broke the prop shaft. I had prolly about 10 hours on it but 275+ miles in that time. There was a whole bunch of time at 6-7k, some bursts to 8k and some lugging at 3-4k when the water was rough.

Don said he never broke one, but jokingly said he didn't put that many miles in it all year lol. I'm ok with the fact that those were hard miles just surprised I busted a shaft so soon.

There seems to be a general consensus that the shaft might have already been hurt when I got it and I just took it to failure, which is ok but it put a prop on the bottom of the lake.

I obviously don't want that to happen again but don't want to destroy a LU if I hit something running a fat shaft. What would you do?

FloridaGS

The thinner propshafts are sensitive to gunning it over time....if you pull the prop and follow the lines along the shaft, if it has been hurt, you will see the twist towards the bottom in the groove lines. Getc the same shaft and monitor it, if you see the twist in too short a time for your walet...upgrade to the fat...but be easy on stabbing it and long hauls will/should do nothing.....to the shaft.

Maybe when he said he did not do long runs, he was saying I mainly do 1/4 mile hole shots and other shorter run...which is all good since that keeps the hours down but can stress the shaft.

GotMyAlly

If you hit something hard enough to destroy the lower unit running a fat shaft, it's a hard enough strike to destroy the lower unit with a small shaft too. I don't think treating the shaft as a fuseable link is going to offer any real protection.

Probably the two worst things on the prop shaft are hole shots, specifically showing out and 'popping wheelies', and running in water so rough that the prop is coming out of the water (and re-entering and suddenly biting).

Most prop builders are making props to accept flo torque hubs these days (and have been doing so for some time), so the only reason to stay with a small shaft - prop availability - is mostly null and void now.

No question, if it was mine, I'd replace it with a fat shaft.

To your original question. XB21/250XS. I fish pickwick/TN river. Routinely make 20 mile runs each way to fish. Did the same with my last XB21/250XS and an XB03/225X before that. Never broke a prop shaft - but they've all been fat shafts. I do drop the jackplate a little when the water gets rough and I think that helps take a little stress off the prop and shaft too.

Tim Powell

I ran 200 miles weekend before last, another 200 miles last weekend, I'm off this weekend but will run another 200 miles next weekend. I fish tournaments on the Ohio River and run to the Tennessee or Cumberland rivers.

I run the XB21 BasSport Pro with 300xs w/ 1.62 Sporty.

In your situation with a broken propshaft that needs to be replaced, I'd replace it with a fatshaft. Ive seen too many break and down goes a good prop, or a borrowed prop