Thoughts on my 225 build

MoodyAllison

My father and I picked up a 225 promax and it has one cylinder oversized and it came in pieces (parts that is). It appears that everything is there from when it was torn down and we're starting to get ready to get the process going on building it. We're thinking about sending the block to the machine shop and having all the cylinders put over sized (getting them the same) and running wizard top pins.
It has the good rods so we plan on re-bearing it with the metal caged pistons and slapping it back together.
The ?? I have is it was torn down because of a side pin failure and from the looks of the motor does not appear to have run lean at any point. The guy had the computer re programed and it has Mod VP on the computer now. Also, it has no rev limiter on it....
Is this something I should have sent somewhere to have looked at for fuel curves etc. or do I just get it together and start pulling plugs to check for lean conditions after the build? Thoughts
Thanks for the opinions in advance! This site has been wonderful over the last few years getting me in my boat and comfortable with it!

Bobalouie

I would send the computer to Brucato or Simon and have them check the flash to make sure its good. I think it is less than $100 to have them verify or reflash to a new program, so it would be cheap peace of mind that all was good.

JaySmithRacing

I use Simon for my reflashed Pro Max ECU's a bit more than $100.00 for reflash though Bob..

I built a 225 Pro Max this week with a Simon flashed box, Marles top pinned cast Pro Marine pistons ( .015" over ) lightened and weight matched rotating assy., metal caged bearings , TDR reeds, Cut heads, cut front case half , etc , etc,...Should be a real sleeper...

Jay

catfish123

How much actual horsepower does a motor built like that put out???

K.Kiser

I ordered my cages from ProMarine, and if my foggy memory serves a purpose then I think they were Merc cages in a different bag...

JaySmithRacing

I get the 514R con rod bearing from Pro Marine and they are in a Mercury High Performance box...They list for $25.00 a rod.. I sell and use the TDR reeds exclusivily,my customers have been in love with them for 10 + years from all out race or recreation service, TDR is IMO the best living ,sealing and performing reed for me AND my customers on the planet, you have peace of mind knowing that Tony Doukas has been manufacturing and selling reed valves for OVER 35 years , got a custom application that needs a special weave , thickness or material give us a call.. 1 281 576 5088 cst .

Jay

MoodyAllison

How much actual horsepower does a motor built like that put out???
I'm hoping to build this motor for a dependable fishing motor with better fuel economy than what I got hanging on the boat right now. :blah blah blah
I'd like the motor to be a little healthier than 225 and capable of spinning up to 6,800 - 7,000 with out having any issues. As for the true horses, I havent' any clue. I think that motor would be the Beez neez on an 03 for fishing
This is the first one we've put together so there will be more ?'s coming as we proceed forward on parts etc.
Thanks guys for the comments and keep them coming.
Any knowledge is greatly appreciated!!!:beer:

Jimxb02

Bass & Walleye magazine , April 1998 published article on modifying a 1997 Pro Max 225.

Stock except bolt on mods ---- Bob's tunner, exhaust relieved, and SVS.

On Land & Sea dyno --- prop shaft HP peaked at 252.

Jay has done other work on his rebuilds of 225 Pro Max's

Hope Jay responds if he is getting higher numbers than above.

Jim

mdevrow

Right Jim those Mods have been around for a while and with allittle more compression K.Kiser was right on it around 260HP. From Experience my Little XB02 with basically the same mods plus allittle extra compression would give the same hull with a stock 260 fits, and help from the SVS would leave most boats sitting on the line. With these Mods the 225PM will turn up quick!!

MoodyAllison

alc -- You know we don't like easy around here and what would I do with this pro-max I got sittin around.

Also, the 225 block won't have the ports cut as high so it will retain more low end and mid range torque. If you bump the compression up a little it would feel like you have a whole lot more power than you actually do but just won't spin like the 260/280/300 platform.
Am I thinking right on this or is there something I'm off on? After all I want a fishing motor that won't have to be re-ringed after 150-200 hours

Jimxb02

Moody,

You are thinking right !!!!!

Your Pro Max will have the low end to run your fishing load and will be only 4 to 6 miles slower than a 260/280 on top end with the typical fishing load. And you will be way ahead over the life of the motor on repair and maintenance costs.

Jim

K.Kiser

I'd say the 225 modded will certainly be the better fishing motor given it's gonna be spinning a sensibly pitched fishing prop... In a drag race setting the 260/280 would run away with it due to all the over-rev that they have thus enabling them to run such a shorter prop for acceleration and the 8500-9000 rpm power retention still pulling a short prop on the big end... Fishing I'd say the modded PM where the revs will be kept under 7,000..

JaySmithRacing

I build allot of 225 Pro Max motors a month, IMO they are much more desirable for fishing because of thier hardy charging systems, and thier long run life with steel sleeves verses the TiN ring Nickle bored hi Per motors. Its not unusual to get 500 -750 hours from a Pro max verses 120-140 from the Hi Per motors before they need a set of rings.

I top pin ALL ( EVERY ) motors I build and upgrade to the High Performance aluminum caged con rod bearings. I pre mix all of them removing all the unnessary crap off the side , putty up the #2 oiler gear cavity ( to bring #2 up to the same volumetric area as the rest ) cut front case half to increase crank case compression ( torque ) and cut heads to a safe CC so Super unleaded pump gas can be used.

They have lived GREAT for my customers , if I have a customer pushing the limit with a cast piston I Cryo treat the pistons before they are top pinned. I also cut the piston ports to mimic a high Performance motor ( width and height ) to take the feed charge longer and more of it to make MORE power. I also lighten and balance all rotating parts ( pistons , rods, and wrist pins ) for a smoother running engine , I use no other reeds than TDR I have found them to be THE best on the market, I also "can" use an encapsolated light weight wrist pin and cut a wopping 27 grams from a stock pin if the customer so desires...

LIGHT is MIGHT !!!

Jay

Last edited: