Tips for driving an Allison?

catfish123

Allison boats do too but not many people can figure out how to do it.

fnshrmaster

Kurt you where washing the sides on the GS cause it had no steering in it and was way off in setup. WAY OFF. Everything about that boat was goofy...

Like whippers bike analogy.... works for me.
Good thing you bought it and saved me the dough of getting it right, I needed a fishing rig to boot.

Lotus 50

Patience is the key, at least for me. When I first got my SS2000, I could not get out of the 50's. Eventually I got to 89.7 with a 150 XR4.

Now I've switched to hydraulic steering, a 225 PM, and a different gearcase. It's not completely starting over, but I'm going up in speed slowly, a few more mph each outing. I may think I know how to drive, but the feel is different. I'm up to 85 with a 26 Trophy and it's time to put on more pitch.

You could try a lower pitch 4 blade prop. The acceleration will be fun and the boat will be a bit easier to drive. Ballast (passengers) makes my boat easier to drive, but of course I don't push it with passengers.

I plan on doing this for a few more decades. I have time.

fnshrmaster

Not the dough.... the time my man.
Least you got a good one now... good for you.
I have a good one for sure, but kicking around another one. Never had an 02, and I know where there is a couple cherry's right now. If only I would have learned how to lay bricks and not flatwork.....

tomoad

My problem is not driving it. Its two things being unsettled on water conditions meaning did sum jackass just go thru leaving a big wake that I haven't noticed. And I can't see chit at those speeds my eyes are watering so bad. Guess I need some googles.

racerx

Just pay attention just went through this with my sons 1st Allison his 2nd time out it ran 104 in a xb 2002 now I have to worry...good luck

Bobalouie

if theres a chance of a barge or ski boat leaving a 3 or 4 ft roller, I wouldnt be going fast. Stringing it out is best done early in the morning or on a weekday when there is no chance of getting into a wake you arent expecting. I have seen photos of an XB02 broke in half after it hit a 4 ft barge roller running high speeds.

Its not worth the risk. And, if you cant see, you cant drive, so get a pair of Wiley-X's or something similar.

AustinL911

Probationary User
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going back out on Thursday or Friday to give it another go.

Waterboy334

I'm with you Austin. Been out 3 times and "ugh" Mine has a hydraulic jackplate and I have no clue as to where in relation it is with the pad.

allimax

I'm with you Austin. Been out 3 times and "ugh" Mine has a hydraulic jackplate and I have no clue as to where in relation it is with the pad.
You better get that figured out, that's a blowout / bat turn waiting to happen. Feeling the pressure was the key for me, the bicycle analogy was no help. To me it's not like riding a bike at all, it's all about managing that pressure from the left. Having a teacher will put you miles ahead, you have to know what you need to feel for and then learn how to manipulate it. Acquiring that feel is the trick and it's not easy.

fnshrmaster

You better get that figured out, that's a blowout / bat turn waiting to happen. Feeling the pressure was the key for me, the bicycle analogy was no help. To me it's not like riding a bike at all, it's all about managing that pressure from the left. Having a teacher will put you miles ahead, you have to know what you need to feel for and then learn how to manipulate it. Acquiring that feel is the trick and it's not easy.
I believe that, however i think you can do it solo. The trade off is a longer learning curve and a chance to learn the hard way. The hard way will teach you better than any, it just may be painful.

allimax

No disrespect Waterboy334, my concern is strictly for your safety. Knowing what your prop height is crucial for running one of these above 60. If you run too high above the pad you risk having the prop blow out (loose it’s bite) and then the bow will drop. That’s where all hell breaks loose. It’s not too hard to do and once you know where even is you can mark the jack plate and use that for future reference. It’s very possible someone has already marked yours but I would re-check things anyway.