Tires

tomoad

Time for me to get some more tires for the trailer. I have been using Marathons but believe I will go a different route. Looking at the Kumho 857 tire or even the maxxis tire. Something in a D rated. There hard to find in a 14". What kind are y'all running. For some reason every marathon I've used they wear on the outside edges.

patches

If they're on a tandem I think outside wear is kind of normal since the only force they ever really see is being dragged sideways in a turn unlike a car tire. I ran mine at 50 psi. Did a lot of reading on trailer tires once and people at better luck with the Marathons at 50

K.Kiser

I think the maxxis have a decent reputation for our sized tires.. Run full recommended pressure.. Maybe back off a few lbs in the summer to allow for some temp/pressure as you get some miles under it

Myron

I have used car tires for years now and have never had a problem, do your research and stay away from china tires. I have had real good luck with General altimax RT. there load rating I think is 1300 lbs. I think Bass Cat has been using car tires for years now also on there trailers

GotMyAlly

The guys at boatmate swear maxxis is the best trailer tire there is, but i had one explode and tear up a fender at less than a yr old. Warranty on them is a pain in the azz................they just run you in circles. And i had a difficult time even finding a replacement to buy one that matched my other 3. I think I'll go back to marathons when mine wear out.

SLOmofo

There is also the possibility of the wrong width tire for the width of the rim. A narrow tire mounted on a wide rim will already be rounded =the tread won't set flat on the pavement.

Car tires have much less side wall strength, they roll under during cornering. Trailer tires have many more plys in their side walls = stiffer, stand up, don't roll under during cornering.

Their are almost no non Chinese trailer tires anymore.

Myron

if the car tire has the correct rating I don't see where there is a problem. And yes all trailer tires are made in China

F2008

Huh I didn't know 35lb was under inflated. What psi you run?

Yup, 35 is way to low for trailer tires. I've been running Kumho 857's (205's) on the single axle trailer under my XB02 for 2 years now. I took the Chinese Marathons off after reading about all the delamination issues they were having. I'm running them at 50 - 55# (cold). So far, so good, no issues and nice even wear. I always try and keep them balanced also.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran a set of Carlisles for over 4 years and literally all over the country. I was pleased with them, only reason I replaced them was just because. Running the Maxxis 8008 now, they seem fine, only been on a little over a year though. It's interesting, cheap tires or expensive tires, you seem to read good and bad about all of them.

allimax

And yes all trailer tires are made in China
Rumor has it the Goodyear Marathons are now made in Canada due to problems but I haven't been able to confirm that. (I have to see stuff with my own eyes) That came from one of my tire reps. What I liked on the last set I mounted was how they put the "Made in China" where the rim bead will hide it once you mount the tire.

catfish123

In the past, I used car tires, very good ones. I will NEVER do it again. There is no doubt about the excessive side wall flexing. Most trailer tires that would fit our requirements will be listed to take around 50lbs. I try to make sure mine are close to that.

JohnT3

Have BF Goodrich Radial TA's on tandem axle trailer under my 2003. April will be five years. Never had any issues what so ever. Will probably get at least another six months before I replace them. Oh yea..... mine does not sit long as I fish at least twice a week year round. I figure 5 years is pretty good considering how often I use it.

F2008

Rumor has it the Goodyear Marathons are now made in Canada due to problems but I haven't been able to confirm that. (I have to see stuff with my own eyes) That came from one of my tire reps. What I liked on the last set I mounted was how they put the "Made in China" where the rim bead will hide it once you mount the tire.

Check the code on the sidewall, it will tell you where they were made.

Here's a couple of links for those that haven't seen them.

http://www.tire-information-world.com/dot-codes.html

http://www.harriger.com/tire1.htm

GotMyAlly

I ran a set of Carlisles for over 4 years and literally all over the country. I was pleased with them, only reason I replaced them was just because.
Seems to be luck of the draw. I had a set of carlisles on a Sprint trailer years ago. Second season, made a spring trip to go fishing about 4 hrs away. Between the tires that didn't make the trip over, and the tires that didn't make the trip home, I had to buy a whole new set of tires at a hole in the wall tire shop just so I could make it home.