tm question

John S

Right now I have a 12v 42# thrust minn kota tm. I need to put a tm on the xb02 I just got, but Im wondering if anyone makes a 12v tm in the same thrust, but on a traditional bass boat chassis. Mine is more designed for a tuna can style boat and I made a bracket to accomodate my xtb-21, but I have to slide it out and in every time, and thats a pain. I dont need any more thrust than what I got, and the less batteries, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks - John S

John S

Maybe if I rephrase this Ill get a response. Whats the best tm for the xb-02. This may sound like a dumb question, but the only tm that have the chassis for a long nose are big #, 24v (at least at Gander mountain)

Thanks - John S

jimmyb

honestly, i still dont really understand your question...

my take on trolling motors is that you should always go overkill! i have been running 36V on my allison for the last 4-5 years...

if you arent into tournament fishing or never fish rivers, then a good 50# 12V troller should do you well, but I would have a group 27 battery

as for trollers, i am very partial to the motor guide tour edition. METAL foot pedal and heavy duty

Sking

I was going to replace my 54# 12V foot control with a stick control earlier this year and looked at going smaller. Went fishing a few days later in the wind and realized, I needed every bit of the 54# and them some on my XB2002. Nothing worse than being stuck in the wind and not being able to do anything about it.

John S

I have a 42# motor on an xtb 21, which is obviously a heavier boat to throw around than an xb02, and never had a problem with it. Im by no means a tournament fisher, and I live in the state of 10,000 lakes, so I dont care for the rivers around here, which are dirty and full of debris. I kinda figured that I would confuse some of you guys with this question, I guess Im just wierd. But that 42# 12v has worked awesome for what I do ( I usually either fish out of the wind or with it, so the big motors arent what I need) I cant remember a single time that my motor hasnt lasted me the entire day. In my opinion, it is the perfect tm for these boats. Case in point- my cousin has a 18' tracker basser with a 70 somethin # 24v on his and we had a tm race one day. I stayed right next to him the whole way and still fished the rest the afternoon. Why have the weight/ less space of 2 batteries when you dont need it, thats my opinion anyways. If I could buy just the chassis, I would be more than happy with my lil 12v. oh well, Ill just go sit in the corner now :oops:, maybe this winter Ill just have to make a billet chassis for my motor :twisted:

Thanks for the replies - John S

ps Someday were gonna tm race, JimmyB

GotMyAlly

Sounds like you are asking about the trolling motor mount, not the trolling motor itself....right? I know the shape of the front step on an Ally is a little odd and makes it hard to find a good mounting location for some of the trolling motors on the market. I drilled new holes in the frame of my TM mount to make it work.

John S

Well...kinda. The problem Im seeng right now(Ive only been to one place looking so far) is that to get the chassis I want, they only have it in the bigger thrust , dual voltage motor. I can see you guys think Im nuts :shock:, but I just dont understand why I should add the weight of another battery, when it serves me no purpose. All the weight I save is just that much more room for beer. Ya'll may think Im crazy, but Im really not. Ive been telling that to all the voices in my head for years now!

Years from now, Ill be seen as a genius.... an evil genius, but a genius nonetheless :twisted: - John S

GotMyAlly

I'm not sure about the minn kotas, but I know when it comes to motorguide any of the foot control motors will fit in any of the foot control gatormounts. However, the smaller motors have cheap, non-breakaway mounts. You have to go to the bigger motors to get the better mounts. Try checking with a TM repair facility like Fosters. I know they refurb and sell used TMs. They might let you mix and match motors and mounts.

Are you running 2 batts now or 1? You can crank and run the TM off the same batt. If you are running one TM batt and 1 starter batt now, you could run a 12/24 V tm and share the starter batt so you wouldn't add any weight.

John S

Im not sayin your wrong and Im right, but I always thought it would be bad(hard on the motor) to use a cranking battery with a deep cycle batt. I guess Ill have to look into that more. Thanks for the input though, GMA.

Sking

I have thought about running on one battery only for start and trolling motor myself to save weight . I don't tournament fish so don't us trolling motor alot. Guess I like the safety factor if my big motor breaks or battery goes bad I have a completely separate 12V supply and trolling motor to get back to shore. Also, I don't run group 27's to save weight or deep cycle. That's just how I do it..

froggy

John S,

Back in 1985 I had an XTB 21 with a 12 V Merc Thruster+ troll motor. I fished some two day tournaments and had plenty of juice. Too bad Merc cheaped out and quit making that motor. It was rated at 28 pounds of thrust and there was never a windy day that kept me from fishing, ever. I tried to find one when I was rigging my current boat but no luck so I have a 24 V Motorguide hand control and am happy but have one battery too many.

froggy

John S

I knew I wasnt crazy!! :lol: Thanks Froggy. I just think that if you can pay 1/2 as much and be happy with it, why not. Also, it seems like an easy way to shave weight (lighter = faster, right). Another thing to figure into this is that I dont have one of those monster 260 or 280's, just a little harmless 200xs, so for me, losing that 30-40# batt is a big deal. Heck Ive even went on the Doug Gilmore diet just so I could get another mph or two(only consume barley and hopps) :lol:

dspencer

I just bought a 99 2003 and it has the old mounting bracket. It is a 12volt and 45 pound thrust motor. I could send it to you for 100 dollars if you want it.
I can get you pictures of it tomorrow. Just let me know.