TN Naval Base shooting was family...

RedAllison

After an EXHAUSTING day yesterday I can at least THANKFULLY say that no one lost their lives & today we are just comforting my wifes brother. My brother-in-law is TN National Guard Major Jeff Crawford of Jackson, TN. Jeff is my wifes little brother & has been in the Guard since he got out of high school, he went fulltime 4-5yrs ago & served a year in Iraq in 04-05. He's the commanding officer of the recruiting division in west TN & that's why he was at the post yesterday to actually relieve the shooter of duty for disciplinary reasons.

The guy jerked a .380 auto & started filling the room with bullets. Jeff & another officer actually jumped on the guy as he continued shooting, that's when my bil was shot thru his left thigh & the other officer (a Sgt. Major) was struck thru the foot. (Another guardsman was grazed thru the right bicep but it wasnt a serious wound) Jeff's wound was a clean in & out thru the front of his thigh exiting the back. I was already in Memphis so I was the first family to get down to the trauma unit at The Med. I hope to NEVER have to relive such a time, my wife called me in unrecognizable hysterics & I could only make out "Jeff, shot & The Med" as I then sped downtown. I had already seen the shooting reports on my phone earlier before but wasnt aware it involved my bil until her call. The unknowing & million ???s while on the way to the hospital was NOTHING like I've ever encountered before.

Lucky for Jeff the guy didn't use anything any larger, initially they thought his thigh one was fractured but it wasn't. God likewise "steered" the bullet away from the femoral artery. The base was locked down & amid the confusion the ambulance was over 30mins getting too my bil. He & some other guardsmen were the only ones with combat medic training they worked on the gunshots until EMTs arrived. Jeff was released from The Med late lastnight so we brought him home after midnight. He is THE toughest SOB I know, after being discharged lastnight he was starving & demanded that we stop & eat at a Mexican place in Memphis. So there we were with Jeff in "paper scrubs" with sox on, on crutches & a hole all the way thru his thigh. (They didn't close the bullet hole, said that makes infection MORE likely!) He is like our other veterans, TOUGH SUMBITCHZ THAT THE LORD HAS GRACED OUR NATION WITH!!! :beer:

Hug your loved ones because like this, you aren't even safe at work anymore. :very sad

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/24/tennessee-naval-base-on-lockdown-after-shooting-on-base/

http://www.wmctv.com/story/23780840/reports-of-possible-active-shooter-at-millington-naval-base

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear he will be OK!

I just can't believe the number of weird shootings we hear about now-a-days.

resqu-u

I'm VERY Sorry to hear that your BIL was involved Red. I can't imagine the feelings and thoughts going through your head. I can tell you though that I feel like a target at work not being able to carry my pistol. I'm certified to CCW in 36 states, qualified on every weapon the USCG has, and have over 24 years shooting everything from a bb gun to a 7mm magnum. All that and I'm left for the wolves with the only protection being a rent a cop with basic pistol skills. If a shooter wanted to come into my base and do serious damage it would unimaginably easy. The worst part is that the best answer anyone can come up with to combat these crazies is more drugs and more gun control. Ridiculous.

Darth VMAX

Wow RA, glad to hear everyone will be ok.

That recruiter was probably grew up never getting his *** spanked and got participation medals as a kid. There is a WHOLE generation out there

must have been some great mexican! lol

Dave Hensley

Unfortunately lunatics show up in every walk of life. Good to hear all are safe now. The neat thing is they were trained and went toward the gun fire. If that had been in a civilian setting casualties would have been certain.