Trim Problems

jdm90

What could be the cause of the trim motor not working in down cycle?
Works up but not down, this is the case on all trim switches in the boat.
Heres how it started:
Went to trim motor up and switch at the back of the boat was goofed-up, no spring tension on either side of the switch, so I started to the gear selector to trim the motor and it started trimming up on its own ( I assume from the switch being stuck when it finally made contact ) and it trimmed all the way up and kept running for just a second before I could get it to stop. Went back to the gear selector trim and steering wheel trim switches and it will not trim down at all. It will still trim up, just not down. Disconnected the switch at the back that stuck and same results.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

jimmyb

sounds like your trim pump motor might be shot...

try banging on the motor housing a bit with a small hammer while trimming down... hopefully it will cause the motor to spin and allow you to trim down.

i had this happen to me once in a tournament... thankfully i was able to get it to trim by banging on it

if the banging dont work, there is a bypass screw on the starboard side of the swivel bracket. simply loosen the screw a bit and the motor should trim down on its own

jdm90

Thanks Jimmy,
Not what I wanted to hear. I'll give it a knock or two and see if it helps.
Would the motor running after it reached its full trim contribute to that?

David

jdm90

Did a little more digging and found a solenoid possibly bad. Got voltage in and to it with switch. Jumped across and trim motor worked on down cycle. Maybe that's my problem.

jimmyb

yep, that sounds like your problem... lots easier and cheaper than a new motor...

jdm90

You got that right. Picked one up and changed it out at lunch - Problem solved.
Thanks

brotherxb03

Yep I'd say it's the solonoid. I run a battery switch,cause I had em stick already and it can burn the trim mota before you can get the battery unhooked.

jdm90

I don't have batt. switch now - but I think it's a good idea and will soon.
Thanks

fishnfireman

Most often.....If it will only go one direction. :arrow:
The problem will be a selonoid..

It is a must to put a battery switch on boats that do not have one. It will solve, or keep, several problems from ever happening.
Even Darris finally started putting them on at the factory.

Also some of the older Mercury motors had a trim switch located on the pan that was not potted (sealed)..... they were bad to get wet and short out...
One of those cost me an insurance claim for a prop and a LU that went down about 1/2 mile after leaving the lake. :oops:
Had to unhook the battery to make it stop.. The new switch they sent to replace the bad one was potted.

I have made sure to have a battery switch after that event

scott mann

trim

Also, it is a GOOD idea to carry an extra solenoid in your boat. That way your covered next time this happens and you're in the middle of a tourney or just slammin' 'em down with your ole lady.
My 2 cents anyway,
Scott