Trolling Motor Died

JWolff

Motorguide tour edition digital 24V 82lbs thrust

Not sure if that is the original motor that came with the 2003 XB21. Anyway, I had a grand total of about 10 minutes on the trolling motor since getting the boat. Was using it yesterday and it just stopped. Kind of herky jerky like when you start it on a high speed. I checked all the fuses under the dash and those are good. Any other ideas what to look for before trashing the trolling motor and buying a new one. Not that it would hurt my feelings getting the spot lock feature but it sucks having things break on a new purchase.

Thanks for any help. John

hirk

Take the head cover off at the top of the shaft and look closely for wires that may have got hot and fused together. Next you can take the bottom apart and look it over, just take the prop off and loosen of the two bolts under it and the unit will open up.

Tim Powell

Should be circuit breakers on or near the troller batteries....check those first. Next check the plug to see if there is voltage to eliminate the batteries/wiring/plug.

Waterboy334

What these guys said. Mine done the same thing once, and it was a circuit breaker on the battery terminal, just pushed the button and it worked again.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't forget to let us know what you find. I had to replace my breakers. They were ok on low but would always pop on higher thrust.

Jessie

Check voltage at trolling motor receptacle and see if you have 12v. If you do, then try to remove bottom of foot pedal and check voltage on the motor. If you don't have voltage at receptacle, check for a circuit breaker that's been tripped.

JWolff

Found that the battery under the oil reservoir had a breaker on it that popped. I will have to see if it was a one off thing or if it does it everytime I ramp up the trolling motor like ssv had happen.
Thanks for the help.
John
tmp_5070-20151110_2003061043160422.jpg

Allyfishing

why is one of your TM batteries under the oil tray? Where's the other one? My 2008 2+2 had that same breaker on it and they are junk. Mine used to pop if I had it on high for a short distance. I removed it and replaced it with a Blue Seas manual reset breaker.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2281&familyName=Blue+Sea+Systems+Series+185+Thermal+Circuit+Breaker+-+Surface+Mount

You will need to purchase a short length of 6 ga. wire with terminal ends to fit the battery posts and the terminals on the breaker and mount the beaker on the inside wall somewhere.

JWolff

The battery placement is how it came to me. I assumed that was stock from the factory. The other troller battery is in the rear of the port side rear storage compartment with my battery charger.

Waterboy334

JWolff, Mines the same way I'm assuming, I don't have an oil tank, but I have a battery in the middle compartment with a liftable tray on top of it. My breaker would pop on high also. I just found one of my deep cycle batteries had a bad cell/etc.

scj

There's a tray that sets atop the battery that rests on those ridges the oil tank is supposed to set in.

Allyfishing

ok, so you have 2 batteries in the bilge and one in the port rear compartment? Get rid of that breaker. I took mine apart after I replaced it because it felt like it had grit in it when I would push it back in to reset it and it was all full of corrosion!! The plastic inside was charred black too.

JWolff

Yes, 2 in bilge and 1 in port rear storage. Roger that on the breaker, i will be replacing it.