Trolling Motors

Texan

Alright men. Time to chime in. Looks like my MotorGuide 762 didn't make it through the winter. I've got to get one on Monday so I can leave Wednesday for Fork. I've always had MotorGuide and this one has been a good one, but unless it is something simple, it will have to come off and get replaced. So the question is, what should I replace it with and why? 62 lb. thrust has seemed to be pretty good for me and I am going to go back with a foot controlled unit if this one can't be fixed pretty easily. Any thoughts? Think fast 'cause Monday it is gonna get done one way or another.

GotMyAlly

I hate motorguides. Noisy and unreliable. Yes, i've got one on my boat and as soon as it gives me a good reason, it will be replaced with a minn kota. Only downside to the minn kota is they are a little heavier. But they are smoother and quieter, the shaft can't be bent, and the mounts don't pop and creak like a motorguide mount.

GFinch

Both are good. I've had over the years, Motorguide III. Thruster 2, Pinpoint and now Minn Kota. I have the Minn Kota because of the easy stow shock thingie, weed free prop and it is quieter.

Just have to get used to the button on the other side of the pedal.

I was told I didn't want the transducer inside the motor. I didn't get it and I still had interferance on the front finder. I put a skimmer type puck on which moves the puck away from the motor housing about 1 1/2" and don't get any interferance now.

Texan

Thanks, men. If it doesn't turn out to be a small problem easily corrected, then I found a MotorGuide that suits my needs. I'll find out tomorrow.