Trolling mtor Question

BornYoung

My question is my xb2003 Ally came with a 12v 52# 45" motorguide and I have 24v 82# 45" motorguide on my other boat. How much difference in weight, handling and speed would I give up if I install extra battery and switch over to the 82# on the Ally. I do fish area with current and wind and so the 82# really helped my other boat but I know the Ally alot lighter. Haven't even taken the Ally out yet on her maiden voyage. Just try to take all my goodies off the other boat before I sell her.

chad202

If you don't fish big current, you don't need it. Save the weight. I fish with a 12v 54# thrust MG and it's plenty.Now if you have side steer and need some counter weight for ballast, you may actually go with another battery and gain some speed.

Ally03 200xs

I actually run a 24v 82# tour edition motorguide trolling motor on mine with a total of 2 batteries. The trolling motor battery is rigged in series I believe with the starting battery. If you run this setup make sure your starter battery is a deep cycle with enough cranking amps for the engine.

Note: I also run a stealth battery charging system to charge the batteries when I'm running.

GotMyAlly

I actually run a 24v 82# tour edition motorguide trolling motor on mine with a total of 2 batteries. The trolling motor battery is rigged in series I believe with the starting battery. If you run this setup make sure your starter battery is a deep cycle with enough cranking amps for the engine.
I've ran that setup with wet cells and it works great. Don't try that with Optimas though......

pickwickangler

I can fish in moderate current all day long and I use 2 batts (1 strictly for trolling and the other for starting/trolling). The only time I have ever ran one down is when they get old and need replaced. I use the big yellow deep cycles from walmart :embarassed but they work for me :smile. Later

GotMyAlly

When I was running wet cells, I was using 2 group 27s - bass pro shops house brand which is probably about the equivalent of whatever walmart sells.

Ally03 200xs

I use two Cabela's AGM batteries in the 27 series. I have yet to run out of juice while fishing the CA. Delta for 8-10 hrs per fishing trip. But if your unsure, I would just run the three battery setup.

Here is the website to the Stealth battery chargers:

http://www.stealth1charging.com/index.html

BornYoung

Looks like I'm going with 2 battery setup and keeping my 82# MG, found a onboard charger and will rig up like Ally03 one being the starting and second for combine 24v. Found some Group 29, 875amp 125 res. batterys at Wally World $75 that should work but sucker are 60+# each Oh well better go on that diet I was planning.
Thanks Again everyone.....John