Trophy plus ????

suicidealli

How are the 26p trophy plus for slinging blades? I know the 27 on up sling blades like it is there job
Also are there any difference in the prop design from a trophy to the plus except the holes? Is the blade pretty much the same?
I'm super impressed with the old trophy, and some cutting it is a great fishing prop.
Thanks guys I'm rounding out my prop knowledge..lol

Roy

ally2dextreme

From what i remeber the 25-28 are all diff,ive never lost a blade on any of mine but i dont run them much.I love them,we ran 101.8 in the new 21fter when it first came out with two of us in the boat on a short run,with sum work i would bet it would have went 103 or so.We ran 100 with a 26 and 1.75 gears in my brothers xb02 with a 225..There great props but i hear they sling blades but its never happen to me or anyone i know.

suicidealli

I really like the 25 and 26 I ran. I just picked up another 26. But they are all the old trophies. This last one I got is stock. The last one was a little rough, so I copied and Allison cut on it... It runs 10x better than I thought it would.. Darris has always liked them.. I have seen a few with blades missing, and know more than a few.
I Ran 95.8 at 7000 with 1.75 gears fishing load, and water in the live well. It had plenty more. I was testing, trying to hold it exactly at 7000 rpms..

Thanks for the info.

Roy

Last edited:

Jay Martin

A Balance and Blueprint will extend the life. Any prop no matter what brand will break when ran as high as we do, it's just a matter of time.

suicidealli

A Balance and Blueprint will extend the life. Any prop no matter what brand will break when ran as high as we do, it's just a matter of time.

I totally agree jay.
I seen red Allison Jim throw a blade on a stock one. Darris wasn't selling them anymore he had so many sling a blade. I dont know if that changed or not. He said they changed the formula, and added more zinc, and that is what was making them weaker, Same with the ET.

Roy

TBuck2003

Roy,
Can't speak for material changes in the stainless, but I can tell you the difference between the Trophy Plus and the regular is cup height. On most model of Merc. props they made them in increments of 2" of pitch. 3 blades like the Tempest, Mirage, were in odd sizes 23,25,27 etc... What they did was add the plus designation to it and it ran like a size higher because of the cupping. So now they had in effect a 24,26,28. They did the same with the Trophy when creating the Trophy Plus. Even though they made more pitches available they were still covering a slot of boats with higher H.P. and higher motor heights. For example a 27 Trophy Plus will run out like most others 28 and then some. If you took a stock Trophy and a stock Trophy Plus you would see the RPM difference. So the Tempest Plus, Mirage Plus, and Trophy Plus covered more applications without creating new blade molds, dies, etc... When propping out offshore sport boats like a 25' Baja with a 496 H.O. 425 hp, the first question is what prop are you running. Most of these were shipped from the factory with Mirage props. Depending on year and power you have to know if it was a plus or not so the pitch you recommend will match with your prop accordingly.

Mercury also did the same thing with the Bravo XS props. Instead of creating a whole new line, they took the existing prop (Sterndrive) and cut the barrel, added 1" holes and boom new prop. But what some do not know is that the Bravo is ONLY made in even pitches, so when you order a 27 for example you are getting a heavy cupped 26p. Very similar to their plus designation. Smart way to keep cost down, and offer a line which they already have... Hope this helps.

TBuck

ROBERT CROSS

Good Info Todd....that explains why our 24 T+ runs so much taller than it's numbered. Thanks.

BTW...got some rock work for you, "low lake blues" again last season. :mad:

Bob

ally2dextreme

Thanks Todd.
The blade shape and deisgn of the two props are the same, besides cupping..
Roy
HMMM i remeber the 25 26 27 28 all having different blades,then again im getting old,maybe we need to take some pictures of the blade profile.

suicidealli

HMMM i remeber the 25 26 27 28 all having different blades,then again im getting old,maybe we need to take some pictures of the blade profile.
I'm asking if the blades are the same. Maybe I need to clarify.
Does the 26 trophy have the same blade as a 26 trophy plus as far as size and shape, besides cupping, and a possible tweaked pitch?

Roy

white03

They are very good fishing and load carrying props, but I don't think they are made to surface. I've thrown blades on 2 Trophy Plus props, both of them were 26'. The second time it took out 1/2 the cavitation plate. Will not buy another one. Just my experience and 2 cents opinion

suicidealli

They are very good fishing and load carrying props, but I don't think they are made to surface. I've thrown blades on 2 Trophy Plus props, both of them were 26'. The second time it took out 1/2 the cavitation plate. Will not buy another one. Just my experience and 2 cents opinion
I like the older trophy. They run well. A little cut, and some cup, hard to beat for the money... For a fishing prop.JMO

The Plus's have some issues.

Roy

Last edited:

RedAllison

ALWAYS buy Trophy's in pairs, that way you'll have a spare to get you back to the ramp after the first one pukes a blade! :help

I remember several years ago I was standing in Glenn Reynolds' shop, the 28" Trophy had just came out, I mean they weren't even in stock at most shops. The 27" hadn't been out very long itself honestly, maybe a season? Anyway he and I started talking about them and I asked him about the differences and he said, "Well I haven't compared them yet, let's take a look". He had just gotten a new 28 in. So he laid a 26, a 27 & a 28 up on the counter side by side. They all three looked like 3 different props! I was really surprised, it didn't look like you would expect (the 27 being a "combo" of the other two).

And DAMN SURE don't try any Trophy's on a 21 with a 3.0! I've yet to get all the way down the lake with TWO of them before they screwed the pooch. The first was a 27" I traded for that was essentially NIB. It made the run from Joes dock to Linda's and about 3/4 of the way back b4 it puked a blade. And that was NEVER going over about 75 or so as a storm was coming and my oldest son was in the boat with me. The 2nd was a Trophy that had lived 30-40 hours on a stock 175 opti on a 21 2+2 (stock 200 case, no LWP) it lasted 3-4 miles. Came back, put boat on trailer and to our amazement THREE BLADES WERE CRACKED!!! :cuss

NOOOOOOOOOO other props aboard my boat, because they're RELIABLE... DURABLE!!! :big grin
RA