Truckin'

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, I got the wuurd from my CPA that if I want to buy a new truck, I should do it before the end of the year.

My '98 GMC has treated me well, but it's getting a bit tired at 98K miles and is starting to do the nickel-and-dime thing to me. I've had it since January 2000.

This weekend I saw the new GMC Sierra and fell in love with it! I'm going to go for a crew cab, since the kids are getting bigger and I am ending up having to haul them and their friends around it seems more and more. While I never thought I'd say this, I have come to believe for my needs I won't miss the standard size box and so am going to go for the short box with the max tow package, SLT trim with the works and the 6 liter V8, navigation, the whole deal.

It's gonna be me, Louis, and Steffan across the USA this June with the only checkered Grandsport I've seen pushin us down the road.

See you in Sweetwater with the only CA-tagged rig and boat at the rally!!! !-!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
That's a good idea, I think the XB2003 will go onto the dual-axle XS2003 trailer with no problems. What do y'all think about that, will it fit just like the Grandsport on the trailer?

Not only that, but then I could have Darris or Todd do some pad work on my 03 while it is back "home"! :mrgreen:

Forkin' Crazy

2fast4mom said:
My '98 GMC has treated me well, but it's getting a bit tired at 98K miles and is starting to do the nickel-and-dime thing to me. I've had it since January 2000.
Dayum... my '93 GMC has 160K on it and I thought it was just getting broken in good. :shock: :p

Yea you will love that 6L, but you might wear out the fuel door and threads on the gas cap though.... LOL! >>,<<

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Dayum... my '93 GMC has 160K on it and I thought it was just getting broken in good
That's becuz it don't have the CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS PACKAGE!! >>,<<

My 98 is running fine. It will probably run fine for the next 8 years. But the wife has the Escalade with the 6 liter and evertime I drive it, it's like DAYUM...it spoilt me... :mrgreen:

John S

If you want to really make that 6 liter run, go to wait4meperformance.com- I did it on mine, and its the best onefitty I ever spent. ZOOOOOM. Congrats on the purchase-John

whipper

Ya my buddy has the 6.0 and my 454 Suburban gets better fuel mileage. But he has more hp I think with that 6.0 its chipped. My 454 gets 14 fast slow or sideways no matter what. Love the rumble! :twisted: :mrgreen: Buddys 6.0L or 400 rips! James

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
John what did you get? A new EPROM?

Yeah James, nuthin like that growl, huh!!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

lightening rod

Dang Lou, my '03 work truck has already doubled your mileage. The 6 liter is a gas hog, I do good to get 14-15 on the highway and hook aboat to it and it kills it down to 12-13. Have you thought about a diesel?? It has plenty of rumble and kicks some gas a$$ when it comes to power.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
All this talk of the horrible gas mileage of the 6 liter is not what my experience is. Cathey's 6-liter Escalade gets 14-17 all the time. My current (98 GMC) truck gets about 12-15 so it doesn't seem much different. It's a 5 liter V8.

The 2007 Sierra has "active fuel management" that seamlessly switches from 8 to 4 cylinders when not under load. I didn't believe it was "seamless" until I took it for a test drive. The only way you can tell it's going from 8 to 4 and vice versa is the on screen display that says V8 or V4. It's slick.

With the 4 cylinder feature, I will be very surprised if the 6 liter truck gets any worse mileage than the Escalade. It's the same engine. I opted for the 3.73 differential ratio over the 4.10 for mileage considerations too.

The new truck has a "remote start" feature. While idling towards the ramp in my boat, I can start the truck and have the A/C running so my white elitist a$$ will not be uncomforted by hot leather when I walk up the ramp to fetch the trailer. :mrgreen:

Now THAT'S livin, boyz..... $);

LAAllison

My 6.0 Suburban stays above 15mpg without problem. Last week I went to D.C. and got close to 17 and that's cruising through The Smokies at 80.
Brought back my brother-in-law's 21 ft Checkmate drove a lot slower, more like 72-75 and got 15. Most of my local towing I do with my 92 Suburban with a 350 and 600,000. miles on it. It'll still do 16-17 mpg without a tow.

Art

Roll Tide

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well I got the thing dialed in to exactly what I want, but I am having a real hard time deciding on one thing: The COLOR! :?

I thought I had settled on "silver birch metallic", a sort of champagne/neutral color silver.

Then all I see everywhere are silver trucks and SUV's and Suburbans, Envoys and Lexus's, BMW's and Hondas.... :x

They are offering a "medium brown metallic", they say it looks like a root beer brown. Then I think heck it's gonna be a hot color and show all the dirt.

I need a color that will look at home no matter which boat I'm towing--the boats are yellow, burgundy, and red/black/checkers.

I thought I'd get white again at first, then Cathey says "white is so boring" but maybe that suits me to a tee. ;)

What do you guys think. Click on this link, then click on "colors" at the left side column:

http://www.gmc.com/sierra900/1500/index.jsp

John S

You can either send in your computer for around 70 bucks ( I think), or buy one from him for 155 bucks. It improves mileage, but its hard to realize, because ever since I got this done, I cant stompin on the pedal! Guaranteed to satisfy bud- over