Two pissers

whipper

If NO2 is done correctly and you don't get greedy it'll last. But then if you run out you'll be like going through withdrawals! :furious
So its sorta like crack, you start out saying I can do this then you become dependent on the stuff craving the rush and you don't even see it coming then one day pow! Your on the Dr Slomo show saying, man I was only doing a squirt a day then N02 took over my life and i craved it all the time it made feel like I was king of the world until it took everything i had. In the end I was up to 3 canisters a day:big grin
It sounds like somthing I would have to be careful with. The risks might out weigh the rewards as a person with an addictive personality. :relax:

xb03fs

I don't know if an Svs is a 20 Hp maybe on a promax or at a specific rpm I would guess it averages about 10 throught the rpms range and peaks around 5800 at least in my application

whipper

I don't know if an Svs is a 20 Hp maybe on a promax or at a specific rpm I would guess it averages about 10 throught the rpms range and peaks around 5800 at least in my application
Ya the gains in HP they quoted on the B&W article seem steep but I also have no idea if they actually dynoed or not to say that? As same as you though everyone says there are pretty big gains in HP. Even 10 is big difference for a bolt on.:beer: My guess would be the more HP ya start with the bigger the gain.

xb03fs

I made the sin of changing 3 things at once
Remove wedge to get more trim
Added 1 inch setback
Added Svs

Added setback let me raise the motor as well so maybe 4 things....

I had similar holeshot
Carried a load better
And gained 4-5 mph

Not sure which did what

Bobalouie

248 is bone stock out of box 96 225 promax dyno sheet specs. SVS alone is additional 20hp with no other mods as tested by several sources. I would think way quicker with a 24 pitch wheel to 95-100 even with a loss of 40hp to a DBR 335hp motor? Power to weight and revs. Not to mention about 10000 less out lay since i have the base motor all ready. And of couse port and chest work whats the point other wise.:big grin and 8000 was on days when I didnt want to spin more. I would say revomved limitter for the odd run when ya need it. Also the SVS and exahst tunner alone added 30hp in this quaote from B&W test.

This a dyno of a stock 2000 PM.

I just dont think this is right. If a box stock 225 PM really put out 248 HP on a regular basis, then why, when a box stock 225 PM lines up against a stock 260 does it get walked on? There is only a 12 HP difference. Same goes for a stock drag vs. a 280, only a 20 HP difference.

If a SVS really added 20-30 HP, then why are guys saying that they give a little in the holeshot, wake up the midrange pretty good, but only gives 1-2 mph on top? I am not saying that they arent useful, but unless you are doing a port job to 260 or drag specs, you are going to be well south of 300. With 30 additional HP, that should be huge, especially in the top end.

You are going to be faster for sure, but I bet you are in the 260 HP range, but still not as fast as having an actual 2.5L 260.

Bottom line is this: I dont want you to take this the wrong way and be upset, I dont care what you do (although I was looking forward to seeing your results with the 300XS). I just want you to make the best informed decision possible and I am providing a different view.

xb03fs

I just dont think this is right. If a box stock 225 PM really put out 248 HP on a regular basis, then why, when a box stock 225 PM lines up against a stock 260 does it get walked on? There is only a 12 HP difference. Same goes for a stock drag vs. a 280, only a 20 HP difference.

If a SVS really added 20-30 HP, then why are guys saying that they give a little in the holeshot, wake up the midrange pretty good, but only gives 1-2 mph on top? I am not saying that they arent useful, but unless you are doing a port job to 260 or drag specs, you are going to be well south of 300. With 30 additional HP, that should be huge, especially in the top end.

You are going to be faster for sure, but I bet you are in the 260 HP range, but still not as fast as having an actual 2.5L 260.

Bottom line is this: I dont want you to take this the wrong way and be upset, I dont care what you do (although I was looking forward to seeing your results with the 300XS). I just want you to make the best informed decision possible and I am providing a different view.

Just a thought but because generally speaking a 260 is spun higher and makes power higher ie 8000+ rpms vs 6800 Because it carries its torque higher it is able to spin a little smaller prop to get that incrementally faster top end....being able to run 2+ inches less pitch and still get these faster speeds makes it walk the promax from holeshot through topend even if it is "only 20HP" more where it makes this HP is just as important if not more important than the 20 HP. If someone lugged a 260 down to a max rpm of 6800 would it still stomp the promax as badly or would it just barely win....I am betting the latter.

whipper

Lots of guys say the promax with the same hull and same sized wheel the promax beats a 260 to 40 or 50mph then the 260 takes over. I dont know just what Ive been told. All this was from other people posting dyno sheets and personal experience with both motors. The promax has great torque down low. 22-23pitch wheels are ridiculous on the promax because your on the limiter in a very short time frame, but because the revs aren't there stall out were the 260 keeps reving to 10000. Todd sent me a 22pitch prop a few years back and it was nuts to 65. Instantly at 65 mph so much so once i knew were the trim should be I just left it there because I couldn't trim fast enough for the acceleration.:big grin thats a blast turning these small wheels. Hence why guys love the 260 & electronics with the slippery bores.

If you make a 225 spin to 8500 rpm your not in 260 revs but your able to turn a smaller wheel. Porting to 260 is the key though. There the exact same block anyway so isn't that big of a deal to do so Ive been told. Without nic sleeves though you just have to limit the rpm to reflect the material in the cylinders. i know lots of 225 steel sleeve reving to 7500-8000 all the time and living for 500+ hrs no problem mines one of them. A 25-26pitch prop rips out of the hole for me. I walk on a 245 bridgeport STV RR to 85mph with a 26drag. Then hes beside me and pulling away to 110.:big grin

whipper

(although I was looking forward to seeing your results with the 300XS)..
:big grin Me to. Ya never know right now its more a matter of dollars and cents. or Sense. The used motors off warrantee are still to high in price for what I want to do so in the meant time Ill just find some more performance with what I got. If I come up with lots of money from anywhere the 300xs is always on mind and still {want} to do this. I don't pay alimony and want to keep it that way.:big grin When she says its OK i gotta take two steps back and figure out what that means because it cant possibly be the meaning i want it to be.:big grin

2003225X

Lots of guys say the promax with the same hull and same sized wheel the promax beats a 260 to 40 or 50mph then the 260 takes over. I dont know just what Ive been told. All this was from other people posting dyno sheets and personal experience with both motors. The promax has great torque down low. 22-23pitch wheels are ridiculous on the promax because your on the limiter in a very short time frame, but because the revs aren't there stall out were the 260 keeps reving to 10000. Todd sent me a 22pitch prop a few years back and it was nuts to 65. Instantly at 65 mph so much so once i knew were the trim should be I just left it there because I couldn't trim fast enough for the acceleration.:big grin thats a blast turning these small wheels. Hence why guys love the 260 & electronics with the slippery bores.

If you make a 225 spin to 8500 rpm your not in 260 revs but your able to turn a smaller wheel. Porting to 260 is the key though. There the exact same block anyway so isn't that big of a deal to do so Ive been told. Without nic sleeves though you just have to limit the rpm to reflect the material in the cylinders. i know lots of 225 steel sleeve reving to 7500-8000 all the time and living for 500+ hrs no problem mines one of them. A 25-26pitch prop rips out of the hole for me. I walk on a 245 bridgeport STV RR to 85mph with a 26drag. Then hes beside me and pulling away to 110.:big grin
There were quite a few people that said when my dad sold his 225x and got a 280 that he would not be happy with hole shot etc.. they said the promax would run away from a 280 up to 70 mph. That is not even close to being correct. That 280 would run over a 225 in every aspect, and I imagine a healthy 260 would be the same way.

Unfortunately, there is a TON of bad information on the internet that isn't close to being true.

If I were you I would do 1 of 2 things... live with the performance of a 225pm or put more power on it. Ask Allyfishing on here what happens when you highly modify a promax.... it spends more time in the shop than it does on the lake. My $.02.

LakeAnna

There were quite a few people that said when my dad sold his 225x and got a 280 that he would not be happy with hole shot etc.. they said the promax would run away from a 280 up to 70 mph. That is not even close to being correct. That 280 would run over a 225 in every aspect, and I imagine a healthy 260 would be the same way.

Unfortunately, there is a TON of bad information on the internet that isn't close to being true.

If I were you I would do 1 of 2 things... live with the performance of a 225pm or put more power on it. Ask Allyfishing on here what happens when you highly modify a promax.... it spends more time in the shop than it does on the lake. My $.02.
James, Matt is very correct in that a 260 or 280 which ever one you have will crush the 225. I know, I have had both on the GS. But the 225 will last if you don't finger it to much.:twisted evil

whipper

Ya I would never believe a 225X or PM would run with a 280 either or a 260. A strong promax with a 22 pitch wheel to 40 mph I said. Thats all, because the promax has almost the same torque down low as a stock 260. But thats only the first 3-4 sec from an idle start.:big grin After that the 260 builds power and torque more and walks away. Any one have a dyno chart on a stock 260 vs a stock 225PM? The stock 260 has a 7500 rpm box correct? I saw this before but haven't seen one in a while. There isnt to many stock 260 in existence anymore. Most have something done to them over the way they originally came out. Doesnt matter any way its apples to oranges. just saying there are promax,s that can be {built} to give a stock 260 a run for there money and still be made to out last the 260 in hours of operation before a leakdown suggests a rebuild.

LakeAnna

I sold Kurt a manual on the 260 and I think the dyno sheet from mine was in there. Check with Kurt maybe he still has it and can post it up. I remember it made 300+ around 7500-8000 and seemed to get it on the longer you stayed in it. I ran a 26 drag on it most of the time and surprised a lot of people with the GS. Never the less it always busted a 100 in a hurry. I would be afraid to think of how many boat links it would put on my current ride from a 20mph roll.:punch

Last edited:

whipper

:beer: 260 would sure be awesome if wasn't so far away from any builders or parts. Thats why I need somthing that the internals can stay together on. i can work on anything exteriour but not inside as far as I can tell with any success.

Seeing Todds 260 carry 3 adults over 100 is pretty impressive to say the least.