Under Carpet Padding install.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, last week I ordered 15 feet of under carpet padding from Pro-Tech Mats. This is the standard 1/4" thick mat. It can be bought in custom thicknesses. Wife bought me a new carpet kit from Allison. Now that I have the padding this weekend i'm gonna start pulling the old stuff and scraping the old glue out. I am going to use wood weld contact cement. I call Birdsong adhesives the recommended adhesive for the padding and they don't sell it in anything less than 5 gallons at a time. The guy I talked to told me the wood weld would work just fine. That it was very similar to the their adhesive. Ill make sure to take some pictures to share with those of you who may want to tackle tis in your rig later on.

http://www.protechmats.com/Pro-Tech-Deck-product.php

msharp

If you fish any where as much as I do you ... your absolutely going to love it. Good luck with the job !

gmorgan

Thanks for paving the way, K-Dawg. Looking forward to your updates.

Allyfishing

Yeah, same here. That was one of the things I wanted to ask Darryl at the plant when I was at the rally and I completely forgot!!

scj

I have the padded carpet on my decks only and it's well worth any amount of time and money. I think it was a $450 option

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I have started the carpet removal. It really blows. If I could do it all over I would pay someone to do it. This old glue removal is a deal breaker. I am almost done but, hind site being 20/20. I would take everything out on my own and find me a laborer to remove the glue. Taking off the compartment lids isn't bad at all. Uts the friggein glue removal. Pics to come.

Derrick

I agree, it's a lot of work. doing the same to my 2002 no padding though. the adhesive you spoke about is good for the carpet? I've got mine stripped and wasn't sure about what kind of adhesive to get.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
After getting the ruff cut finished. I took the old carpet laid it on the ground. Laid the ruff cut over the top of it and with a white paint pen drew the final outline. Once I got it drawn took a pair of scissors and cut it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
FYI, for those of you crazy enough to do this yourself like me. Don't use lacquer thinner it suxs. I was using xylene and it completely breaks down the glue. The Lacquer thinner does not you have to actually scrape it to get it off. So, don't use Lacquer thinner use xylene.