Waterpump gasket adhesive??

xb03fs

What glue do you guys use to glue down the waterpump gaskets? I seem to blow through waterpumps several times a year...Just was reading and found this is common for you guys???

peteylen

There's alittle from the factory under the very bottom gasket that's always attached to the lower unit that I never remove and have never used sealant on the gaskets with no problem ever but I never see over 10psi either

xb03fs

Do you do both sides of gasket and on both gaskets? Never really changed my own waterpump before... just wondering if maybe a little extra care than what gets done at the shop may have a waterpump live more that a few trips.

whipper

3M weather trim adhesive. I put it on the metal plate side. I regularly see 50+ pounds of water pressure.
Thats what I used last time also Gary. I had some from new truck emblems. i must say this last water pump is still cooling great so untill i see a temp increase Ill leave it for now. i used to always change mine twice a year and never any sealant. Then i heard guys like Gary and others always do. So i tryed it. I havent had a cracked edge ever since i started bonding the gaskets. That was always what would happen it seamed. I payed close attention to getting the stuff fully across the small areas that are prone to splitting because of there the narrowest parts of the gasket.

GotMyAlly

I'm going to try that on my 3.0L pump gaskets when I change the impeller here in a few weeks. Mine was split when I changed it last year. That gasket is really thin in some places.

whipper

I'm going to try that on my 3.0L pump gaskets when I change the impeller here in a few weeks. Mine was split when I changed it last year. That gasket is really thin in some places.
I kept all my old gaskets had at least 30 of them laying around. I cleaned out my garage and finally chucked them now or i would have taken a pic. The ones that were split seemed to be all in the same spot the little thin area on the outside edge.
Robert Cross posted a pic of a split one same spot I think. his piece that broke off went up into the t-Stat. That wouldnt have happened with sealant. Pretty sure without checking that was the remedy on that thread also.