What a boat!

Luketrician

I have been learning how to drive my new to me XB2003, been a challenge..but well worth the effort!

Today with me and my fiance' another friend of mine, and almost a full tank of gas and a full live well I hit 81gps and finally 'hit' the limiter!

I am really pleased at how well the boat handles and even with a heavy load, It still wants to run FAST!

I think I am getting better at driving it too, because it doesn't chine walk as much..as it did when I first started to drive it...

I need to go and see Billy at Performance props, think I am ready to try a REAL prop now.

I've been running a 25p fourblade powertech, Billy let me try this wheel till I got used to driving...I think it is time!:cool

V6MERC

Learning how to drive an Allison is one of the biggest joys of owning one... Congrats!!!! :cool

pickwickangler

If you enjoyin it now wait till summertime and you start hittin them ski daddy waves. No more back pain!! Take it easy after you start runnin over 85, there is another learning curve as the hull rises up and starts flyin. Later

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
No doubt about that Andy. I start to wonder when I get up to around 84 if the boat is over trimmed. Because when I get to that speed the boat seems to be up out of the water way more. Seems to run flater when it gets way up on the pad no chime at all. I reckon cause theres less drag. But, I get a lil scared and trim it back in a little bit when the boat feels this way.

Luketrician

If you enjoyin it now wait till summertime and you start hittin them ski daddy waves. No more back pain!! Take it easy after you start runnin over 85, there is another learning curve as the hull rises up and starts flyin. Later
To make a long story short, I almost lost it the other day. Actually it was the day after I was runnin 81.

I got a 28p big ear chopper and took my lady out to go fishin. Well that evening I decided to push it a bit.

At 85 I guess I just oversteered or something because next thing I knew the boat was chinnin so bad it was out of control...I didn't know what to do but try and hang on..I was scared that if I chopped the throttle or trimmed down she would hook but I have never been so scared in a boat...

if you guys could enlighten me on what I might have done or can do in the future to prevent me from killing myself I would appreciate it.:embarassed

thanks

pickwickangler

When you goin that fast all you need is very small adjustments, like turn the wheel maybe a inch (be quik and short about it). Anytime you get in trouble hit the down trim immediately and after the boat starts to drag some then back out of the throttle.

J

John Richied

At 85 I guess I just oversteered or something because next thing I knew the boat was chinnin so bad it was out of control...I didn't know what to do but try and hang on...
Like Pickwick said, bump the trim down and ease out of the throttle.

if you guys could enlighten me on what I might have done or can do in the future to prevent me from killing myself I would appreciate it.:embarassed

thanks
:laughing :laughing :laughing
We have all been there and done that

Luketrician

ok thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Oh and I'm not sellin' I will do my best to become a good Allison driver:smile however long it takes.

GFinch

You found out what happens when you jump ahead too soon. Hopefully the other half (GF) will forgive both you and most importantly the boat. When learning, it's baby steps all along the way. Learn to drive in all conditions at each speed, that way you will have the foundation to progress to the next step.
I knew from your earlier post this was going to happen.

"I've been running a 25p fourblade powertech, Billy let me try this wheel till I got used to driving...I think it is time!:cool "

Fortunately the Allison is very forgiving.

Not being a smart A, I / we have been there ourselves.

baitcaster

I concur 110%. I have learned by trial and error, I have done two bat turns in mine and I can tell you that although scary, the boat is forgiving. Just keep your head about you and don't push it to hard to fast. I know you get on here and see all of these guys posting these 90 to 100+ speeds like it was nothing. Trust me, these guys have been driving a long time and know their boats like the back of their hands. In time you will do the same without even thinking about it.

A month or two - or so ago, I was at T-Rex's place and we were watching a vid he had taken with a stationary camera mounted on his boat while conducting a 1/8 mi. speed run in his Laser. When Rex (Michael) made the statement that he didn't realize how much he moved the wheel (corrected for the walk). It had become second nature to him to such a degree that he was totally surprised to watch himself. To him driving, he probably could have swore that he just held the wheel still.

*The biggest piece of advise I can give, has already been said, but it might be worth reiterating; bump the trim down before letting out of it. Don't let out of it to fast and placing the boat in a "slight" left handed turn will usually stabilize the boat in the process.

In the future, I would not push the boat with someone else in it. Think safety first, additionally your concern for what the other person may be feeling may divert your attention - you need to be focused on what you are doing.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

badbait

Don't worry about how long it takes to learn to drive your boat as long as you have fun. We have a guy that comes to our rally that has been learning to drive for at least three years. His problem is he's so busy that he doesn't have time to use his boat in between rally's. He has just as much fun as anybody and last hear one of the most exciting things for me was to watch him flying his boat through the time trials. I'm sure I was more excited than he was. He must of enjoyed it also since he went throught no less than a dozen times.
My take on what to do when you get into a bad chine walk. First of all you should know where your motor is in relation to the pad is it in a positive or negative trim. Since your new at this you actually may of still been at a negative trim angle when all this started. Trimming down at that point is the wrong thing to do in my opinion it will just make things worse. All you should do at that point is slowly back out of the throttle. I personally believe that if your prop shaft is level with the pad it's only a tap of down trim if any at all. Much more than that will make the boat bow steer. It's a natural thing for a new driver to lay on the down trim when they get into trouble and want to slow down. Just a tap is all you need. Take care and don't be testing your driving limits with a passenger in the boat.

Last edited:

GFinch

What Stinky Bait says.

I've been around at least 4 times. Well really only 90 degrees 3 times and 180 ish once. 1. engine way too high. 2.chopped the throttle. 3. Extra person + wake and chop throttle. 4. chopped throttle. I'm seeing a pattern here. Every time I knew I was going to get wet. DIDN'T. I'm sure the Hyd steering kept it from being worse as the wheel didn't get ripped out of my hands and turn the engine.

If you haven't already got it, call the factory and ask for a copy of "The Little Red Book." Read it, learn it, live it.

J

John Richied

If you haven't already got it, call the factory and ask for a copy of "The Little Red Book." Read it, learn it, live it.
Bring your "little red book" to the rally Gary, I would like to read it.

Luketrician

thanks for all the helpfull advice everyone, I have a copy of the red book and I will be studying it.

My prop shaft is 1/2" below pad also.

Great advice guys...really, I owe all of you a cold one!:beer:

GFinch...you are right...I tried to kick off the trainning wheels way to soon. Another friend of mine laughed at me when I told him what prop I went to after the 25p four blade.

Lesson learned. I was out yesterday by myself but I didn't go any faster than 75...that's enough for now.

I'm gonna go wash and do some polishing on her for a little while now..I'll talk to ya'll later! Hope to make the rally also!

:beer:

Fishforcash

Words from a wise man who sold me my Allison.

"Bullet like steering adjustments are left turns in an Allison".:laughing

The other thing was "Trim is last up and First Down" Hit the down on the trim and the brakes go on. Then back out of the throttle.