What else makes a promax a promax compare my rebuild

xb03fs

Am I a Brucato ACU with a good fuel curve away from a 200 promax??
1995 EFI Xri .15 over Vertex Cast Pistons
1998 block was used
Solid Motor Mounts
TDR Reeds
Metal Caged Bearings
oil injection removed
200 case with bobs lower
Once out of break in the advance modules will be removed and timing set at 22 degrees due to the loads of pulling slalom skiers

Cant put the petal to the floor yet so no need for mods yet but......

From what i read I am a good fuel curve Brucatos ACU? and maybe some tighter heads away??? Do they require premium gas?

Allyfishing

Hi Nathan
I asked this same question over on S&F a while back. the 200EFI block and the 200PM block (I am told) are the same part number. All the other things you and I did to the 200EFI are what a 200PM is made of except the ECU. so I would say yes if you had a Brucato ACU programmed with 200PM specs like Tony did to mine.

xb03fs

Was just told over there by PM that the exhust divider is different also. Not sure what it is or what it does?

RedAllison

I seem to remember from somewhere "way back when" they were first released, that the 200 & 225 ProMax/ProMag engines began life at Mercury Racing utilizing stock 200EFI short blocks shipped from off the production lines at Merc.

Main powerhead differences between the 3 was induction/exhaust and the ECU.
RA

ps
Ask Hotprop about his 200EFI mod/buildup that will SMOKECHECK a stock 225PM.

Allyfishing

You are correct Darth, they are different. I wonder what the difference could be in them?

Possibly the way the voltage regs mount to the plate on top of the divider plate?

And I do know that the water pressure tube runs from a fitting screwed into the top if the divider plate to the in-dash pressure gauge and a 200EFI is connected to the water tube from the top if the block, right?

Sorry Nathan, I didn't mean to steer ya wrong!
Craig :embarassed:banghead

Lotus 50

Per BWB August 96, the differences are

exhaust divider plate (allows coils to mount closer to block so cowl will fit)
cowl and pan
upper and lower solid mounts
dual stage reeds
ECU box
gearcase

xb03fs

So when i learn to drive to the limiter, quite aways a way at this point. A new ECU instead of a new prop and the fun starts all over again.....5K at this point and still haven't gotten to run with a decent setup, found out last time after putting on the trailer the hydraulic plate was leaking down pretty quick so dragging the lower all day...........

Volatile

The 200block and 225 blocks are different. Someone said they both started as 200 blocks. Not correct. The 225 has a 7 petal front and the 200 a 5petal unless you have the early 90's 7 petal front 200. The 225 has larger exhaust windows and the chest is cut differently. The 225 also has a cut on the behind the liner side of the rod slot that the 200 doesn't.
If you are building a strong 200 ProMax copy, be sure to move the limiter to at least 7000 and an old 2.4 200 tuner or a Bob's will work better than the long ones that came on most 2.5 200's. The ProMax also had the liner removed and holes drilled at the bottom of the midsection if its a 20" mid. Also the cowl obviously was a race style. Great all around motor!:big grin

xb03fs

I was asking 200 XRI vs 200 Promax, I know its not a 225 and wont be a 225

Got 6400 rpms the other day do it will push through the limiter

Volatile

Yes, I know what you were asking, but someone mentioned that the blocks were the same. Just clarifying that they are not. However, the 5 petal front block with the rod slot side cut, some exhaust chest work like the larger windows and a set of 34cc heads will make 225HP. I mentioned the preferred tuner unless you have a 1pc adapter also. Just trying to help you a bit. The 1" spacer should help as well but its usually not noticeable til higher rpm. You can also have Ruck open the butterflies and save a ton over buying an SVS. It will make solid power to 7500 with the butterflies done and around 240hp with all of the above, and idle like a kitten:big grin.

msharp

There's one thing for sure !!!! Merc wouldn't send the " Pro Max " 200 SR block to replace an XRI 200 under warrenty if there was any differance in the two ! Except for the paint !!!!

msharp

Volatile; The ProMax also had the liner removed and holes drilled at the bottom of the midsection if its a 20" mid. [/QUOTE said:
This is incorrect !!!! 15's and Offshore with exhust snout had no liner . 20 in Bass all had liners , not drilled !

Volatile

Actually , you're right, I stand corrected, they came both ways.
Drilled without liners and undrilled with liners. We prefer to run them drilled w/o liner, but they don't run much differently on most setups, just sound a little nastier. Also its interesting that they made them with both 2pc AND 1pc exhaust adaptor plates. Merc made a special set of solid upper mounts that have the holes offcenter for the 2pc on the 15" can, and they made them with 2pc and std upper solid mounts. We also had a pair of extra rare consecutive serial number 20" Offshore Promax's in the house from Coty Marine a few years back. Those had the 1pc adaptors.
And...., since they had the 2 styles of adaptor, they had both the special narrower oval tuner on the 1pc and the longer rectangular tuner on the 2 pc adaptor. Wild eh?? The 2 pc adaptor is MUCH better for a steel sleeved motor running under 7500rpm, as the motor can actually heat up properly.
A Bob's or older 2.4 200 tuner runs excellent in place of the long tuner as well.

xb03fs

not sure but I have an A-11 ECU being put in tomorrow as long as the box checks out Ill now have some more revvs:big grin:big grin:big grin:big grin