What Troller Thrust?

Westy

Hey guys I need another opinion. I have a XB03, fish inland lakes and want to go to the new MK iPilot troller. I currently have a MG 82# tour that works great but I'm sucking juice from my starter battery because I don't want to add the weight of a third battery.

So I'm debating on going to the 55# Tervora with the iPilot because it's 12v. Do any of you guys run this small of a troller on an XB03?

TIA,
Westy

xb03fs

I run a 55lb motorguide brute that is 24volt, I know old and it moves the boat well but I am not a serious fisherman...

I run 3 group 24 batteries. The starter in the center and a troller batery in each wing. I did this because this is the easiest way to keep the boat balanced since I moved the wheel back to the center...

I have thought of going to a 12 Volt system but then I would probably need a larger tolling battery which would minimize the weight savings....if anything I may go to the cabelas goup 22 AGM and then the wieght would be equal

catfish123

56 lb Motorguide, 24 volt.........I only run 2 -27 series batteries and have had success at this for 12 years. I'm not a tournament fisherman.

Westy

So it sounds like a 55# thrust would work on an XB03. I figured it would because of how light our boats are.

Thanks,

Westy

rmills280

ive got a 43 lb 12v on mine it works fine unless it gets real windy

GotMyAlly

I'd run 2 batts with a 24V trolling motor. You can crank off one of those two, as long as they're good batts with plenty of reserve and cranking amps. I ran my 03 like that for a long time, i had 2 group 27 wet cells from Bass Pro. Never had an issue with that setup.

xb03fs

do you think I could use a group 27 to crank and troll and then a group 24 for just trolling? That way the cranking battery should in theory still have plenty of cranking power even when the troller starts to lose power? Also, I am concerned about picking up interference in the radio, the radio is always on when fishing

GotMyAlly

I've always believed you were better off to pair similarly matched batts on a 24V system.

As far as interference, that shouldn't be a problem. I've got an 800W amp powered by one of my two trolling motor batteries. I've never had interference from my TM. Then again, it's just boosting a signal from an MP3 player, not picking up a radio frequency.

Fishforcash

My xb2003 had a 56lb hand controled 12V on two Optimas. Did great in the Oklahoma wind.