What would YOU do?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
You're in the process of trailering your boat at the ramp. Your trailer is in between two docks about 30' apart.

The first run at the trailer you get blown off-center by a gust of wind. You put the boat in reverse to back out for a second try.

While in reverse, you turn the boat to attempt to get better alignment with the trailer. You're still between the docks.

Two things happen at the same time: The steering locks up tight all the way to starboard. The wheel won't move. It refuses to budge. At the same time, the boat refuses to get out of reverse. You're stuck in reverse and steering is locked all the way to starboard.

It happened to me!

jimbob88

Lou, are you related to bill dance? Swear I've seen something like that on his blooper reel.

njj502

I'd probably start cussing the guy that's loading his boat full of crap while ON THE RAMP. It's obviously his fault

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
XB2002 no trolling motor.

Killed motor. Jumped up and flew to the stern; leaned way out and prevented the motor from hitting the dock and pushed. Lost balance and was falling out of boat - was saved by landing left arm on rear of midsection. Looked at steering - a nut from one of the arm ends was jammed under the engine mount/swivel pivot point.

Returned to steering wheel. Gave it the "Monkey Grip" (Chris was right:big grin) in the opposite direction and WALLA steering freed. Trimmed motor down some to prevent steering arm nut from going under swivel bracket again.

With motor now straight, started it (still locked in reverse) and idled back out into cove, backwards. After repeated tries, finally got it back into neutral then forward, circled around and trailered without incident except for shot nerves.

Have re-adjusted shift linkage after having LOTS of trouble re-engaging shift shaft during lower unit servicing. Hopefully problem solved with shifting.

As for the nut sticking under the motor bracket...No cure for this that I know of except to be aware of it and not trim too high when maneuvering at dock.

I'm just grateful for so many things, no damage to boat or motor, no other boats at the ramp at the time to hit, grateful for being sober.

LMAO @ njj. Yeah!

Last edited:

Bob Ant

I would sell that bucket of bolts boat to someone in Tenn, formerly from PA., and invest in a good rubber boat (get the heavy duty one) with oars. Just my two cents. Your buddy, Bob. :)

PS - check your trailor, sounds to me like thats next.

Dave Hensley

What Bob meant to say was that he would have got the boat on the trailer with no problem. Pulled to the top of the ramp. Got out of the truck without putting it in park and let it roll back into the lake.

RedAllison

What Bob meant to say was that he would have got the boat on the trailer with no problem. Pulled to the top of the ramp. Got out of the truck without putting it in park and let it roll back into the lake.
:LMAO::LMAO:

LLDoggg it's clear you are having "Allison ownership confusion lapses", spawned from owning to many A-boats! I bet if you only own one you will no longer have such problems. So bring Endangered Species with you to Clifton and leave it with me for your return trip home. (Jeffro will happily keep the SS that will already be here!) I'm confused, how many does that leave in CA then? Will the left coast fleet be pared down to 2, the GS and 03?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
03 was gone long ago, I'm down to Endangered, GSE, and SS Comp...and a 1976 HydraSports with a 1150 tower of power on a trailer rusting into the earth. The Hydra is a direct splash of the 1974 green Allison we often see at the rallies. My ex gave it to me at my 40th birthday. Look where it's taken me...:cool