What's a 280 worth??

white03

You probably saw my post about the sportmaster cost. Here's a follow-up

Insurance has decided to pay for a new case and what they are allowing will cover it. Prices I have found so far for a new one from a dealer are in the $5600-$6000 range. So here's my delima: if I put $6000 into a new SM I'll never get that out of it unless I keep the motor another 6-10 years.

On the other hand, my current motor is a 2005 2.5 280. I'm considering taking the insurance check for the lower unit plus selling the
rest of the motor, and re-powering. My dilemma is I don't know what a fair
price would be for my 280. Specifics on the 280: as I said it's a 2005
with everything except a lower unit, bolt on a LU and you're ready to run.
I had the rings changes at 124 hours and it has about 180-190 now (just
guessing), checked compression last December and all cylinders were about 135 -140, everything works and would sell everything that goes with the motor (fuel pump, trim pump, etc), 20" mid, single ram trim with pump in the boat, cowl has a couple scratches but no cracks or damage and it has the pin that comes off the motor through the top of the cowl.

Granted before I listed it I would get the exact hours and current
compression readings, but given the above what do you think I could
reasonably expect to sell it for??

Please PM me with a your reasonable sale price if you don't want to post
here. Not looking to sell here on this post, just looking for advice so I
can make a logical decision. Thank you

PS...I also asked this question on S&F so those of you who go there may see it there to.

Dave Hensley

Re-powering would be a good idea if you could buy a new 280. We all know that is a pipe dream. From where I am sitting the options are ugly. Keep re-ringing the 280 and buy you a lower unit. PM me if you can't locate one I have a nice one. 20", fat shaft.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm with Dave. Keep the last of that breed and get a used lower unit and keep the change. You just had it refreshed so it's good to go for some time. And, you know what you have. If you buy something else..it'll be used likely and you won't know what you've got.

white03

keeping it is certianly an option, sure have grown used to performance!! :)

Feeding it gas, rings, and upkeep is dang expensive though. Kinda thinking it would be nice to get a new 175 Pro XS with a 5 year warranty and have dramatically less expense plus peace of mind that a warranty brings.

decisions, decisions...???

wasmeneh

I've been thinking of the 175XS but you still have the lower unit issues during warranty, it really needs a sporty or coned unit. If it could come with one I think I'd jump on it in a heart beat. I'm in your same position with a HI-PO race motor and I really want a reliable fishing motor.

Dave Hensley

Start looking around for a nice 225 ProMax or a 225x. Still some to be had out there. If the warranty thing is a must then a new motor is about the only option.

white03

I've checked and talked to several Merc dealers about the 175 Pro XS. It ONLY comes with a "standard" lower unit. You don't even have the option of upgrading to a sport master. I can't believe mother Merc, basically saying to heck with the customer here's what I have take it or leave it. What happened to customer service and give the customer what they want.

i've had dealers tell me...just don't surface the prop, well heck if i wanted to do that then i would not have an Allison. had them say...put a nose cone on it, there goes your warranty :(

only realistic fix is to sell the new standard lu and buy a sportmaster, i'm presuming a sm will bolt up to a 175 Pro XS. checking on that tomorrow.

bec

Call Steve at Lawrenceburg marine he will set u up with a 175 with. A sportsmaster or have the one u buy coned and honor the warranty.bought my 280 new from him with a coned torquemaster .i actually liked the way the coned performed when I had my bullet.

LakeAnna

Start looking around for a nice 225 ProMax or a 225x. Still some to be had out there. If the warranty thing is a must then a new motor is about the only option.
What is a good 225X worth anyway??? 200hrs Jc coned torqmaster.

white03

going to see Seteve tomorrow with my 280...let him check it out and then I'll see what kind of deal we can swing on a 175 pro xs.

done a lot of research on new motor prices. i'll use the 175 for this example. would believe that you can find it for less than $11,100, and you can find it for full retail of almost $5000. that's $4000 OR 25 % difference. i couldnt believe there was that much difference in price between dealers until i did the research.

so if i go with the 175, it all comes down to what they will sell a 175 for and what they'll allow for my 280. might have to sell the 280 then use cash to buy the 175...just all depends. would rather trade it in but will not take a $1000 hit in order to do so.

JETZ

I was looking at the idea of also getting a 175, and wanting to get a sportmaster lower unit. Every local dealer to me would be glad to install the new lower unit for around $5K plus labour, but of course I'd be stuck with the stock lower unit and have to sell it myself.

Every dealer except Jaco's!
They would do the swap, and buy the stock unit. Give them a call.

BTW: I have a 280 also. :cool

http://www.jacosmarine.com/mercuryengines/index.cfm

going to see Seteve tomorrow with my 280...let him check it out and then I'll see what kind of deal we can swing on a 175 pro xs.

done a lot of research on new motor prices. i'll use the 175 for this example. would believe that you can find it for less than $11,100, and you can find it for full retail of almost $5000. that's $4000 OR 25 % difference. i couldnt believe there was that much difference in price between dealers until i did the research.

so if i go with the 175, it all comes down to what they will sell a 175 for and what they'll allow for my 280. might have to sell the 280 then use cash to buy the 175...just all depends. would rather trade it in but will not take a $1000 hit in order to do so.