What's best on a xb03/pm150SS

merc2five

Been tryin to find the best all around prop for this rig. 97 XB2003 with a 98 promax150 short shaft. Wonderin if a hoss triton (ally cut) 26 would holeshot & carry weight of fishin load. 26 trophy runs ok but top end sucks. Best all around so far is a 24 powertech drag runnin even w/ the pad. Feels like it needs something with some stern lift.

Run my best top end with a 28 yammy drag (which is for sale) but it was more than a handful.

J

John Richied

You may need to work on set-up… jackplate height, steering cables, setback, balance gearcase etc.

My experience with a Yamaha drag prop is they are easy to drive with kickbutt acceleration, but you don’t want to run them as an everyday prop… they are much too thin for that.

Ever try a Chopper II ? If you are going to go with a Hoss try the Hyperdrive, the Hoss Triton is for lighter loads.

merc2five

yammy drag was & is only for speed runnin lite. The powerech drag has much thicker blades than the yammys & carries a load well but bein a 24 topend ain't so hot (but when fishin that ain't too bad)
Have run a few choppers (best is a mazco worked 26) but holeshot sucks & too much bow lift. Not havin the big hp doesn't allow enuff rpm w/o trim & trim gets the bow up too much. Just wonderin what would turnup rpm but run a little flatter (ie less bow lift)

J

John Richied

A Lightning ET prop would be what you are looking for in less bow lift, but I think a Chopper II would fit your application better. You can never try too many props.

merc2five

Got a 26 Hoss Triton coming wednesday :grin: Anxious to try that cause I heard so much good about them on ally's ;)

merc2five

Ran the 28 drag a few weeks ago on a perfect runnin day. Had a wind aided, rev limit bumpin, super light loaded 90.2
I'm not runnin that anymore though. Was the skeeriest ride yet. Only way to get to the limiter with this mota is trim (too much trim). Done with that for now. I'm just lookin for something I can run fast enough & carry a fishin load.

whipper

ffast

Is that a gps speed? Just wondering because my peto speedo is way off at 90. It was way easier to dial in with true gps vs rpm speeds. James

merc2five

Nordskog digital GPS speedo. I've checked it a dozen times or more against several vehicle speedos & twice by the local police dept (1 - radar & 1 - laser). Pretty much right on the money every time.

merc2five

Don't have a distance traveled feature like on a regular GPS but guessing about 3/4 mile. Tach (gaffrig) was just bumping over 6800 & double checked that with the tach recall on the nordskog speedo & it read 6850.
Don't like ridin with it aired out that much though. I think I was about as close to creating a bat turn as it could get. :shock: Ally stickers got real clean that day too :lol:

RedAllison

A 28" Drag on the limiter should be right there around 90. CONGRATS on 90 gps wifa "itty bitty one fitty"!!! ;)

Don't fret to much the ProSport likes trim (I mean who amongst us dont? :mrgreen: ),
RA

msethsmile

Funny Guy
If that 150 pm is stock, the timing is 19 degrees, a joke. Also, the tuner is over a foot long and is easy to change. Use a 41914c stock merc 2.4 bp tuner. I had the same motor. Nice speed.

brotherxb03

If he is turning a 28 pitch 6850 with a stock 150 promax on a xb03,they can't have nothin wrong with that mota.I never knew they made a 150 promax.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
The 150pm was dicontinued early in the promax series (97?). Seems nobody wanted a high perf 150. At the end Merc was offering incentives for 150 pm ss. $7000 for a shorty complete; warranty, ss, sportmaster, light cowl.

ARLIN

I have a 1998 Mariner Super Mag 150 hp (bought new in 1999) on my 1989 Allison 21 XTB. This Super Mag is a great all around 150 performer. Don't know if the Mercury Pro Max 150 was in the line in 1998? My 98 Super Mag came standard with solid mounts and had the 2.0 Torque Master, 20" shaft. Would echo post above about max top end for 150 stock. The most I have ever seen WOT with Medallion pickup is about 76 and that was with driver only, upstream, cranking a 26 Laser II prop to the max, cool air temperature. 72-74 is about tops for the 150 on the 21' XTB on most summer days. Also years ago with XR2, 2.0 liter, 150 hp, 2.0 ratio, found 27 Laser II would would lug at WOT on the XTB.

Of course 21 XTB a bit harder to push than the subject XB2003. 3-4 mph difference?

P.s. New Pro Max built in 1998, if you could find one, would now be a Mercury 2007 model. Ha!