What's the best trolling motor

Buckmaster

Xbo3 280 don't want to lose any speed I have a little Johnson trolling motor now I'm thinking about the Ipilot minn Kota any suggestions out there I want a stronger motor than I have but not alot heavier thanks for all comments

K.Kiser

I haven't looked at specs, but I don't reckon your gonna get anything stronger @ comparable weight, again I may be behind the times as I haven't checked actual numbers... I think the old Johnsons were aroun 42-45 lbs, but how strong are you looking to have..?

JOEALLY

I had a Minn Kota Edge on a xb2003 that I owned for a short time, only fished it a few times, but it seemed light and strong for a 70# 24V.

I have a 70# 24V Motor Guide on my current rig; I think I kind of liked the Minn Kota Edge a little better.

BUT, both of them have the 5 speeds which I hate, much prefer the variable speed.

Alli-drenaline Rush

I have a MinnKota Fortrex on my 21' Ranger; the only thing that I don't like about it is the start/stop switch on the foot pedal doesn't work reliably..... I have to bang it with my foot a few times to get the magnetic switch to disengage.... I bought it new and it is about 2 years old..... too many other projects to really get in there and fix it right.... so I would classify it as a nuisance problem now....

Bobalouie

There is a 55lb thrust Ipilot model available too, its a 12V. I think it will be pretty close weight wise.

Westy

I have the 55# Terrova with iPilot on my XB03 / 280. I like the fact that I can get away with one troller battery but sometimes I do miss the extra power I had with the old MG #82 tour edition. If you fish in current or with a big partner I would suggest the 24v model. Also plan on building a plate to mount the Terrova on a XB03.

Westy

Bobalouie

I have the 55# Terrova with iPilot on my XB03 / 280. I like the fact that I can get away with one troller battery but sometimes I do miss the extra power I had with the old MG #82 tour edition. If you fish in current or with a big partner I would suggest the 24v model. Also plan on building a plate to mount the Terrova on a XB03.

Westy
Westy,

How much does that TM weigh? I am thinking of going with the same model, but dont know how much it weighs.

GotMyAlly

I've had a couple of Motorguides and a couple of Minn Kota's. You couldn't GIVE me another motorguide. Got a fortrex on my current boat and love it, but it is heavy.

Westy

Westy,

How much does that TM weigh? I am thinking of going with the same model, but dont know how much it weighs.
MK does not list the weight but I can tell you it weighs less than the MG I had on originally. I used the removeable mount in case I want to play with the guys that have noise and speed confused. :big grin Of course most of the time I embarass them with the troller still on.:cool The usual dock talk is "that things got a trolling motor on it":smile

NCLakeman

Minncota auto pilot is the best. i have a 12 volt on my XB2003. I love it. less steering more what ever.