Whats the Max Allison {theoretical} speed

whipper

As was mentioned I to thought this would be a great thread starter Also. Since There have been Allisons driven into the mid+ 130,s before is there a possibility these days of an Allison running 140+ and what hull and setup could possibly reach such a speed and {slow down!!} My pic would be a RR to achieve this with a stout s3000, smaller diameter wheel flat calm water. I think other than the driver the wheel would be the most critical? Thoughts?

GotMyAlly

Agree, i think the XR01 is the only boat in the current lineup that would stand any chance at doing that, if any of them were to do it.

ally2dextreme

I would say in the 150s for sure,as a matter of fact Glen thinks he could go 150s without to much trouble if he wanted.Glen ran in the mid 130s plenty of times testing in the xr with a 2.4 modified 200! As a matter of fact he done it from SIDE STEER! Now can you imagine 30 years later with the xr01.....Glen also discovered that some stuff he done to help with slip actually was choking the motor on top

whipper

Didn't Glen actually have that 2.4 off set to one side instead of centered to experiment with countering the props rotation at speed? Ive also read somewhere the pad was being tweaked several times after each run until he liked the feel in the upper speeds. Now i wonder was he flattening the lip or decreasing or adding to the pad? What would be the profile thats needed to get the hull to {lay} at the best Hole punching attitude?

Bow slightly raised passed neutral
Bow centerline even top and bottom
Bow with a slight below even attitude

The way the bottom is designed and deck of the RR like most Allisons have very similar profiles. The channels on the bottom work for lift as the top deck channels aid in whisking the air passed to prevent excessive down force I believe. It would be cool to see this hull in a wind tunnel!!

The drivers weight would also have to be considered. Like a thoroughbred the Jockey size matters.:big grin

Bobalouie

That pic in your post is what I consider the best angle of attack. If you were going faster in that pic, you would have had more boat out of the water and it would have looked cleaner. But the A-o-A looks perfect to me.

whipper

Haha thats 79-80 did not get over 85 until past the boat with the camera. {started to close} Ya when your going slow as a 225 goes you can bump up one and loose speed or bump one down and watch you loose speed with the foot to the floor. Im sure with a xr S3000 with your foot to the floor going way over 100 you dont get that luxury.:wink

patches

We'll probably never know. If anything goes a little wrong up there or if the boat gets a little out of shape it will probably be catastrophic. The faster you go the higher the boat will lift, making it harder and harder to balance. Previous owner of my boat said he had been 133 on radar with it and didn't care for it. He said shutting it down from up there is the hardest part, Josh said the same thing

dubmoney

I just stumbled onto this thread and think we need to bring it back. Who wants to get a Greg Crossley 400+ hp 2.5 liter, and see if we can't do something that would be talked about for years, like the guy who coined the Phrase "it's a cross between and "obsession and an addiction" Seems like if you could go over 145 you could hold bragging rights on those STV owners.

gmorgan

I nominate Whipper for driver. Dubmoney second choice. I’ve been 123 in an xr2001 and dont want anything to do with 140 or 150.

Last edited:

dubmoney

I don't think I could do 150, but I would like to be part of the team. We could use my motor, but to make the big number we would need a real powerhead. We probably would have a better chance with a 12in mid, with tarver clamp.

dubmoney

oh and we need someone to donate an Allison Drag or other super fast xr1, River Racer. I don't even know which would would be best for a top end challenge.