What's wrong with ETEC 200?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
A lot of us are talking about the lack of suitable new motors for the 20-foot Allisons. What about the 200 Evinrude ETEC? It weighs only 419 lbs. It would need a Bob's cone job or Titus cone job on it, but then you'd be good to go. It's 3-star CARB rated and 87 octane. Drawback I see is the 5850 rpm limit which is kind of a joke since all the 'rude techs say those injectors are good up to 10K. Is there anyone out there experimenting with one of these?

Darth VMAX

I agree wholeheartedly Lou, if I were wanting to go with a new small-block and leave it stock (powerhead) my first choice would be the 2.6L 200 ETEC. If I were wanting a new motor and have it hot rodded it would be the 2.6L 175 VMAX HPDI with a Stage III kit from Hydro-Tec.

At one time last year David Kodona and John Tiger were going to do such a review with a XB2002 FasBass for B&WB. However I think it got nixed. I think EITHER motor would perform very respectably on a XB2002, XB/XS2003.

Maybe Sam can add more with the ETEC experience.

FlatOutAlly

I hear ya, Lou. I thought about it, too. What I understand is you won't hardly need a cone. They're a weak 200 (older 2.6L) and they just don't/won't spin. I'd think you'd have a hard time hitting 80 on an '03. But it is a viable candidate at 419lbs. Oh, and it burns OIL too!!!!!

Darth VMAX

Not sure why they wouldn't need a cone. If for any other reason to get more gearcase out of the water which would improve handeling (ie better speed due to more control). Wasn't there a SS/115 Johnson Faststrike at the 50th with a LWP?
True, from what I have heard the 200 ETEC 2.6L only spits out 195hp, but guess what....thats the biggest stock small-block out there currently. I would think 80-85 should be within reason for sure.

hack02

At one time they had a problem with their GC's not holding up under surfacing conditions. Resolved? And the rpm, argh. Less than 6 grand.

Darth VMAX

Not sure about the new gearcase's reliability. What would be interesting is if you could order one (if it will bolt up) of the new 250HO lower units (1.71 ratio) on the 200 and see what she could do.

Darth VMAX

Mr Scaryfast...

Any thoughts on this? I know you have brought up the 2.6L 200 ETEC, but not sure how much water experience is out there...

Lotus 50

I have been thinking about two options for a green motor for my SS2000.

200 Etec. According to the BRP rep at the Toronto boat show yesterday, you can buy it with the HO gearcase, in which case you also get slightly harder mounts. Even the 150 HO gearcase water pick ups are too high, so a nosecone would still be needed. The rep said a cone would not void the warranty. I think the rev limiter is in the low 6000's.

175XS. Supposedly a strong 175. It will rev to 6000. You could cone the case or replace it with a sporty. The Merc rep at the show assured me that they'd void the warranty with a cone.

An alleged weak 200 vs an alleged strong 175. Given a 10% tolerance, the power could be the same.

Allison

Get a MERCURY, But hold on ya'll seen it coming just had to do it but would be the fastest!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright ya'll can critisize me Know if ya'll want too..

chasintail

I am not having any problem at all with my 3.0.It will run mid 80s with some to spare (no nose cone) and handles great.I think the 300xs would be awsome on the 20 footers.

A B

175XS. Supposedly a strong 175. It will rev to 6000. You could cone the case or replace it with a sporty. The Merc rep at the show assured me that they'd void the warranty with a cone.
I dunno....been at the Orlando show all weekend, with many reps and factory personel. From what I was told, hp wise, from a reliable source, is that the 150 Opti and 175ProXS are about the same. I was told that on the same bassboat hull, the 175ProXS may only net a 1mph increase in speed.

The big block 225HO and 250HO gearcases will not bolt up to the small block motors. The smallblock HO gearcase will bolt up. BE SURE that you get the right motor, the 200 and the 200HO are totally different motors! The 200 is a small block, 60* 2.6, while the 200HO is a big block, 90*, 3.3...

Darth VMAX

The 2.6L 200 ETEC is the only one that "fits" in Darris's requirements. No doubt the 3.3L 200HO is a much stronger motor but its also 100 pounds heavier. Fine on the 21 ft Allisons, but not for the XB2002, SS etc.

I was told the 3.4L 250HO unit CAN fit on the small-block V6.

Lotus 50

The BRP rep at the Toronto show told me that one could buy the small 200 with the 150 HO gearcase. You'd still need a nosecone.

I've heard from a lot of sources that the 175XS is a 'strong' 175. You'd think its at least 25 HP stronger than a 150, and it has a higher rev limit.

A B

Yes, you can get a 150HO case on a 200 small block.

My info on the 175 came straight from the owner of a bassboat company....he has tested both motors, and from their testing, found, as stated earlier, about 1mph difference between the two. I have no hard dyno numbers on them.

XSive

From what I was told, hp wise, from a reliable source, is that the 150 Opti and 175ProXS are about the same. I was told that on the same bassboat hull, the 175ProXS may only net a 1mph increase in speed. ..
Your reliable source doesn't have a clue. The PROXS 175 is closer to a 200 than a 150.

Darth VMAX

Curious,

XSive what findings do you have or have heard about? Obviously you have data that says otherwise so please share.

jimmyb

i can say unequivocally that the 175 proxs is MUCH stronger than a 150 opti!

and yes i can prove it, and no i cant post it... how do you like them apples? :p

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

No, thats what Jimmy stated. With all due respect it could be a gutless turd and he would still play it up LOL (I assume the 175 is stronger than a standard 150 but have not seen much info on em). Jimmy thats not saying I do not believe you, it just comes with promoting your livelyhood (no different if "seahorse" came on here touting BRP).

XSive. I was honestly asking YOUR experience. And if its just what you have read on the forum then so be it. You just made it sound in your statement that perhaps you have done some personal comparisons.

Last edited:

tekajo

I have a 2003xb that had johnson 175 faststrike and I looked at the etec long and hard. I could not pull the trigger because of the low rpm. What prop could I use for high speed without terrible holeshot? I purchased a used 225 promax and have been very happy with the motor. I turn a 26 pitch trophy and use the boat for just about everything with excellent results. High rpm is a wonderful option with the allison