Which Chopper?

K.Kiser

Does an aftermarket "ET Cut" require a large ear Chopper, or will the small ear just equally as well... Thanks, Kevin

whipper

Say what! Are you getting a prop you have now cut to an ET or want to buy an et cut? Performance propellers has a great et copy.As far as getting an A4-A5- or A62 chopper cut to an ET cut I think it would depend on what pitch you have to start with. The 30 A5 is not the same diamiter as the other pitches in that style. The blades are 4.5 and are 14.25 diamiter were as the ET is 14.5 diamiter so starting with a 14.5 would be a good place to start. I would also call Soody Daisey at Performance Propellers to find out how much if they can do it? It may just be better to sell your bigear if thats what you have and spend a little more to get a good ET. There allways for sale around 400-550. James

Last edited:

hack02

The small ears I've run seem to slip more overall than the big ears, a blade area thing I guess. Performance Prop also has an Allison Cut that I think works as well if not better than an ET cut.

K.Kiser

I was interested in having a 24 small ear cut to an ET, not for an Allison... Thanks for all the replies I do appreciate it...

Rusrog

I was interested in having a 24 small ear cut to an ET, not for an Allison... Thanks for all the replies I do appreciate it...
I have heard of guys doing that with good success on light boats. It all depends on weight. With less blade area and thinner material a small ear or in-line CHopper can work good but with too much weight or horsepower it can just start slingin' blades.

I was thinking of doing it myself if I could find a nice cheap in-line CHopper to start out with. A nice 26 would make a good river prop on a light boat with moderate power...

Russ Rogers

K.Kiser

My hull is about 650 lbs. with about 300 or a bit more HP, and I'm undecide on a 24 or 26... I just let a jam-up 24 small ear slip by, I hope that I don't regret it...

Lotus 50

I corresponded a bit with Ron Hill about a 30 small ear. I bought one from Ebay, and it turned out to have his name on it.

Mr Hill said that he stopped working small ear choppers in 1982 because they would crack with big HP and high engine heights.

Based on that, I'd say 300 HP is too much for a small ear chopper.

Having said that, I really like my 28 small ear chopper, and I'm hoping for more speed this year with the worked 30.